Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sidewall punctures are often fatal on many tyres.
Which is why I now carry a spare tyre (weighing <220g) on all rides over 300k, tucked between my Brooks and my Topeak 2 litre (expanded) saddlebag. Yes, you will probably be able to boot it but there's another benefit: if one gets a puncture but one can't find what caused it - after trying - it's quicker to just replace the tyre as well and find the cause of the puncture when time is not pressing (or there's more/better/some light).

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thanks everyone for their replies. When I had my Grand Prix tyres, I ran the 25 size, so would probably do that again - what is the difference between these two:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-2-grand-prix-4000s-ii-25c-tyres-and-2-tubes/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-2-grand-prix-4000s-ii-25c-tyres-and-2-free-tubes/

What one would you choose?

pawl

Legendary Member
Swear by Michelin tyres

Rode Michelin Krylion Carbon for about two years 23s had 2 ps.Now use Michelin Pro Endurance so far puncture free.I ride approx 2500 miles a year.I find these tyres very puncture resistant

When the time comes I will try these tyres size 25c.I can’t comment on rolling resistance as reliablityi is more important to me

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Swear by Michelin tyres

Rode Michelin Krylion Carbon for about two years 23s had 2 ps.Now use Michelin Pro Endurance so far puncture free.I ride approx 2500 miles a year.I find these tyres very puncture resistant

When the time comes I will try these tyres size 25c.I can’t comment on rolling resistance as reliablityi is more important to me

Oh I do like the look of these, especially in red/black!

bpsmith

Veteran
Thanks everyone for their replies. When I had my Grand Prix tyres, I ran the 25 size, so would probably do that again - what is the difference between these two:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-2-grand-prix-4000s-ii-25c-tyres-and-2-tubes/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-2-grand-prix-4000s-ii-25c-tyres-and-2-free-tubes/

What one would you choose?
Look like the same tyre, but different tubes. I swear by Conti tubes, but others on here have experienced a batch of dodgy valves. Dodgy batch must have gone by now, but check how tight the valves are before inflating.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Look like the same tyre, but different tubes. I swear by Conti tubes, but others on here have experienced a batch of dodgy valves. Dodgy batch must have gone by now, but check how tight the valves are before inflating.

I think the batch of Specialized inner tubes I bought were from a faulty batch. Twice I put in a new inner tube and, each time after I inflated it, the whole valve came away with the pump.

Alan O

Über Member
Hi there. I'm just back from a 5 day cycle of the Caledonian Cycle Way (Rothesay to Inverness). I took my BMC Team Machine SLR03 carbon bike. I had fitted this with Continential Grand Prix tyres - size 25. However, during the cycle, I got a puncture in the side wall - we put a temporary fix in this by putting a bit of card over the hole (the Specialized inner tubes that I had bought also had faulty valves because after I pumped them up after replacing them, the whole valve came away in the pump - the pump I use is a Lenzyne). Anyway, one of the guys on the trip has a sister in Oban and she bought me new tyres which I fitted on to replace the Grand Prix tyres. The new tyres she bought me are continental ultra sport (if I remember correctly from the label, they are continental ultra sport II).

What I'd like to know is: these new Continental Ultra Sport tyres feel very light (much lighter than the Grand Prix ones), although not much in the way of grip by the look of them. Not withstanding that no tyres if 100% puncture proof, how much puncture resistant are the ultra sport ones compared to the Grand Prix ones. Its worth nothing that I cycled for about 4 miles over rough stony ground during my cycle trip on the ultra sport tyres and had no puncture whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J
You already have plenty of answers, but I'll just add that I have both Grand Prix (25mm) and Ultra Sport (28 mm) tyres. The Ultra Sports just seem like lighter and cheaper tyres, with not much puncture protection.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I use grand sport race on all my clinchers ( marathon plus on the winter bike )

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have found Vredestein tyres to be extremely reliable, mainly Fortezza TriComp but also the old S-Licks. No true punctures (one pinch puncture) over thousands of miles. I do use Marathon Plus for psyclepath commuting, though - the local low-lifes love smashing glass on them.

mikeymustard

Veteran
One of my bikes came with ultra sports, and have to agree with others: grip's not great, especially in damp (rather than wet) conditions, but they seemed to roll ok for cheap tyres, puncture resistance was non existent and I quickly lost confidence in them. I'm running Grand Prix on the Equilibrium at the mo and quite like them. When these wear out I think I'll try GP4000's

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. Thanks for all your replies and help. I decided on Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 25s. I have these on my other road bike and so far, so good.

Top Bottom