Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
Need to replace two front tyres on my Ford Fiesta, looking at Yokohama BluEarth as they are on offer. Any thoughts or expriences appreciated (replacing a set of continental premium contact2).

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Nothing wrong with Yokohama tyres

Brandane

Legendary Member
No idea about those particular tyres, apart from the good reviews they get.
No matter what tyres you plan to get, don't get ripped off by those drive in and out type places.
I have used blackcircles.com for years. Order online, they deliver tyres to one of their approved local garages who fit them (included in price).

I guess it all depends on your driving style, the actual model you have (& speed rating required)

Can I offer a mid-priced alternative, if it's just a 'standard' tyre?

https://www.evergreentyres.co.uk/ty..._pa_load-index=91&attribute_pa_speed-rating=v

I've had these on my Octavia estate for a while
The previous front pair (of the same) were replaced at over 39,000miles, with about 2.5mm remaining!
The rears replaced a pair of Bridgestones that were 'greying' after about 5 years)

Good tyres for the price/'performance level'
Not overly noisy, good traction on greasy surfaces, etc.....

I expect a similar mileage from them

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are a lot of 'budget brands' that are actually part of the big manufacturers, so worth doing a little research.

Don't get Maxxis car tyres. Despite their bike tyres being excellent, the car tyres don't last. 3 of the 4 tyres failed MOT at 4 years old due to splits on the side wall on the underside side of the car. Never had tyres fail, certainly not ones 4 years old and only half worn.

I've noticed that exactly the same tyre with a lower speed rating can be significantly cheaper. EG. dropping from a V or a Z (150 mph plus) to a H (130). Both our car's can't do 130, but both have V and Z :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes, eg; Metzeler (m/bike tyres mainly?) are part of Pirelli
The Evergreen, that I quoted are, so my trusted garage tells me are also Pirelli moulds/rubber compounds

The one's I have on my car at present were mid range high performance tyres from Kormoran, owned by Michelin, but made in Poland ! Half the price of the big brands.

The one's I have on my car at present were mid range high performance tyres from Kormoran, owned by Michelin, but made in Poland ! Half the price of the big brands.

Comorant?
Good in the wet, then??

gbb

Legendary Member
I always compare the noise, wet weather and fuel economy ratings to try to equate how one compares with the other.
I had some Continentals fitted to a former car, they seemed to last forever.

I don't buy into the 'the company is owned by Pirelli, Dunlop', whoever ...so the presumption is they're big brand tyres at budget prices....I suspect they're not the same quality, and probably wont compare with the actual big brand.. it's a marketing ploy used by the seller I think. That said, budget brands needn't be bad.

I'm on Halfords sourced Landsail LS388s on the front, £60 a corner instead of the £100 I was paying for Goodyears. They will just about make 20k miles, havnt surprised me in the wet, aren't particually noisy...been ok for what I paid but then I don't thrash the car...or my tyres.

I always compare the noise, wet weather and fuel economy ratings to try to equate how one compares with the other.
I had some Continentals fitted to a former car, they seemed to last forever.

I don't buy into the 'the company is owned by Pirelli, Dunlop', whoever ...so the presumption is they're big brand tyres at budget prices....I suspect they're not the same quality, and probably wont compare with the actual big brand.. it's a marketing ploy used by the seller I think. That said, budget brands needn't be bad.
I'm very happy with the Evergreens, hence why I replaced them with the same brand/model

I don't thrash the car...or my tyres.
Best way to make it/them last:okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The BluEarth winter tyres are good. I have another set being fitted on Monday. No problem in deep snow.

Daughter was watching 'Police Interceptors' on Monday, then called me, after rewinding it slightly

That's a scary tyre on a Peugeot saloon :eek::eek::eek:

DSCF6152.JPG

Top Bottom