Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
What are people using for winter tyres? I've been running pirelli cinturato velos for a few years now for winter, and they are starting to come to the end of their life. I've been happy with them, but curious as to what others are running. I'm not interested in the likes of marathon/marathon plus so please dont recommend. I actually want an enjoyable/quick ride.
These are my must have specs:
32mm
Low-ish rolling resistance
Low-ish weight
Good puncture protection
Grip in the wet
Tubeless

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Same tyres year round. Marathon puncture proof touring ones. All good and last ages.

What are people using for winter tyres? I've been running pirelli cinturato velos for a few years now for winter, and they are starting to come to the end of their life. I've been happy with them, but curious as to what others are running. I'm not interested in the likes of marathon/marathon plus so please dont recommend. I actually want an enjoyable/quick ride.
These are my must have specs:
32mm
Low-ish rolling resistance
Low-ish weight
Good puncture protection
Grip in the wet
Tubeless

GP5000 TL ... steep though £100+ pair? I use Gatorskin 32c's all year on gravel bike, 3 years in no punctures on some really rough terrain as well .... tubes though.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I've used Schwalbe Durano in 32mm for about the last six or seven winters (2 sets). I think I've only had one puncture and never a skiddy moment. I've just had a week thrashing around the flinty tracks of the New Forest and they haven't cut up either. I'm quite impressed.

But Cycling Weakly (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/best-winter-tyres-for-road-cycling-462830) rated them 8th best, so I would fill your boots with any of the better seven as they must be brilliant.

Edit: They're not tubeless so you can put me on ignore as well.

I've used Schwalbe Durano in 32mm for about the last six or seven winters (2 sets). I think I've only had one puncture and never a skiddy moment. I've just had a week thrashing around the flinty tracks of the New Forest and they haven't cut up either. I'm quite impressed.

But Cycling Weakly (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/best-winter-tyres-for-road-cycling-462830) rated them 8th best, so I would fill your boots with any of the better seven as they must be brilliant.

+1 on that ... great tyres, tubes though?

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?

I wouldn't put you on ignore for not reading a post properly. Life happens. Although re-reading my post, it does come across a bit snippy. Sorry @Oldhippy. Didn't mean to come across rude, I can only blame myself and the fact I've had about 7 hours sleep since Friday (the joys of a 9 month old going through a sleep regression)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I swapped to tubeless I spent a lot of time searching the internets for road slicks that boasted about puncture protection. Basically I was searching for the Schwalbe Durano (or D+) of the tubeless world. I have to say that many hours of searching and reading codswallop reviews and looking at lots of sites I came up with ... Pirelli Cinturato Velo. Which you're already using.

It seems to be a not very well populated niche, or else my searching skills are rubbish (which they probably are).

Last edited:
OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
When I swapped to tubeless I spent a lot of time searching the internets for road slicks that boasted about puncture protection. Basically I was searching for the Schwalbe Durano (or D+) of the tubeless world. I have to say that many hours of searching and reading codswallop reviews and looking at lots of sites I came up with ... Pirelli Cinturato Velo. Which you're already using.

It seems to be a not very well populated niche, or else my searching skills are rubbish (which they probably are).

Yeah I kept coming up with the same thing regarding the holy grail of commuting tyres. And they are great tyres for commuting and winter riding. I was just wondering if there was anything better out there. I'll probably end up with another set.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A lot of manufacturers strip-out some of the puncture protection in their "tubeless compatible" spec so they come in at an suitably impressive lighter weight.

I would recommend the panaracer gravel king slick + / plus version, but only on the basis of using their SK+ version tubed (but its the same tyre / protection level tubed / tubeless) The "tubeless compatible" is tagged onto 32mm+ sizes. the non + version doesnt have same level of puncture protection though.

Conti 4 seasons are not officially tubeless compatible yet.

Alex321

Veteran
The issue I found with tubeless for road was that when you get a hole too big for the sealant, plugs don't really work.

At road pressures (even though lower than you would use with tubed), the plugs just blow out. Admittedly, that was with 28mm tyres, not the 32mm you are talking of, but I don't expect pressures will be all that much lower.

Top Bottom