Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vavavikki

So, I get a lot of punctures, I cycle on cyclepaths where the neds break bottles and things, I could do with some tougher tyres.

I hear all bad things about airless, solid, foam tyres.

I have had a read through previous posts and see there are puncture resistant tyres to be had. Now I need to choose which exactly.
I dont go on mud and things often, mainly roads and cycle paths, now your going to ask the measurements of the wheels right? Is there a number I can find somewhere?

What else do you consider when buying tyres?

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
The numbers will be written on the side of your current tyre, will be something like 27" 1.5 or 700 x 23. Just type that here and someone should be able to give u a link. you (by the sounds of it) need some slicks with mild puncture protection. what depends on what tyre size.

100th post, YAY!!!!

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
On the last part, depends on what you are doing. If you race, rolling resistance and weight are your considerations, if trekking / commuting i guess puncture resistance and grip is important.

i think the sch&*^% (cant spell it) marathons are along the lines of what you will be looking for.

bauldbairn

Try Michelin "City" with Protek Plus puncture protection for about a £10 each - from Chain Reaction Cycles(free postage). I did 3500 miles + last year on them on cycle paths/canals/roads/schemes etc, with only one puncture. A very heavy tyre though.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
BIKE_450x350.jpg

I think the rolling resistance may be a bit high

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Simple rule here: protection = weight. From your description, it sounds like you really do need to go for something bulletproof - as FF says, Schwalbe marathon plus seems to be generally regarded as the bulletproofest you can get. You'll just have to accept that tyres weighing a kilo and a half each take a bit more pushing...

Top Bottom