Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
OK, I got yet another puncture this morning. There was some glass in the road but I couldn't avoid it.
I think I need some tyres that are more robust, and I've heard good things about the Schwalbe Marathons.

But there is a bewildering range of tyres
Can someone point me in the right direction? I ride a Spesh Crosstrail hybrid. My route is mostly road with some offroad sections (dirt track, rough gravel, that sort of thing).
My existing tyres are almost slick along the centreline that makes contact with the road, with treads coming in as you go up the sidewall.

I think the size is 700, not sure about the other number, I'll look later.

vorsprung

Veteran
What sort of tyres do you have at the moment?

You want something more puncture resistant than these tyres, right?

Do you want a cheap tyre?
Do you want tread or slick?
Do you want a fast tyre?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not sure of the make - they were just the ones that came with the bike. As described above, the centreline is slick, and there are treads coming up the sidewall. This seems to work pretty well for my commute.

Yes, something more robust, which is why I first thought of Schwalbe Marathons

Not too bothered about cost, as long as they're not outrageously priced.

Tread - as above would be ideal if it exists, or one of the ones which looks a bit like crazy paving but slick in between the treads if that makes sense.

Puncture resistance is more important that shaving a minute or two off my time.

Thanks.

What sort of tyres do you have at the moment?

You want something more puncture resistant than these tyres, right?

Do you want a cheap tyre?
Do you want tread or slick?
Do you want a fast tyre?

vorsprung

Veteran
Here's a page of suitable tyres at Spa Cycles

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s142p0

The Marathon Plus in 700x35 will be similar to what you have at the moment but very puncture resistant and heavier

The SCHWALBE Marathon HS368 are slightly less puncture resistant but cheaper and lighter

The Marathon Racers I've not tried but they will be faster and lighter still

If you get the Marathon Plus it might be a good idea to get a Var tyre lever at the same time

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Great, thanks. I'll go for the marathon plus ones I think.
How do you know I need 700x35? I knew my wheels were 700, but I was going to check later the other dimension.

e-rider

crappy member
continental travel contacts are mega tough - slick in the centre and with some tread/knobbles on the outside. You'll have to check if they come in the size you want.

Top Bottom