Ubuntu installing........................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Changed the fuse in the 'kettle lead' but still nothing. I presume the power supply is an on board item?

Yes. If you take the lid off the computer you'll see a box with a fan at the back with lots of wires coming from it (it's quite easy to spot!). It can be removed and replaced: power supplies die quite often as they're stuffed full of heat sensitive capacitors being gently toasted in a hot computer... If it were me, I'd borrow a PSU and see if that fixes it - if it does I'd then buy a new one. Do you know a computer literate mate who you could borrow a power supply from?

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I'd borrow a PSU and see if that fixes it - if it does I'd then buy a new one. Do you know a computer literate mate who you could borrow a power supply from?
I do, in fact the I.T. Dept where I used to work only use Dell machines, (mines a Dimension 9150), and I'm waiting to hear from one of the guys to see if he'll take it under his wing for a crafty bit of fettling.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
burninghouse.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Try again tomorrow , i have had pcs where the psu throws a wobbler and does not work then after a rest its ok ( although it could be a sign the psu is on the way out )
If your not getting to the POST screen where you can press del for the cmos then its liable to be a hardware issue.
I have finally got ubuntu 12 running after help getting a way to install due to a dodgy old disk and its looks ok .

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Would have such an easier time booting from a bootable USB using ISO image :smile:

Linux is my domain :P
It's all too late now, PC is fubar.

Needs fixing with a new one as the mb has gone :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

Sounds like a psu problem - best confirmed by a google with symptoms and make of pc.

BTW - I found Linux Mint a bit better than Ubuntu. Just get the latest release (Qiana).

I like Mint, unfortunately my old PC wont run it, I started with Ubuntu, was on 10.04 for years, when I moved to a later version I didn't like it so moved to Lubuntu for a couple of years and I'm trying out Linux Lite now.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I like Mint, unfortunately my old PC wont run it, I started with Ubuntu, was on 10.04 for years, when I moved to a later version I didn't like it so moved to Lubuntu for a couple of years and I'm trying out Linux Lite now.

I have Linux Lite on my old PC. It's good for knackered old PCs. Mint is too heavy.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have Linux Lite on my old PC. It's good for knackered old PCs. Mint is too heavy.
My problem with mint, I tried both versions, was that the PC would run it but it ran like a very nervous race horse, very fast but unstable, prone to odd crashes and random things not working, a lot of it was to do with the Nvidia graphics on the PC I think, the graphics don't seem to like Linux and Linux don't seem to like the graphics, I've had the occasional problem with both Ubuntu and Lubuntu.

BAtoo

Über Member
I've had Mint on this little notebook since the end of XP support and it's fine and everything works well - the only successful install and use of any type of linux following 6-8 attempts over a few years.

Top Bottom