Ubuntu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop. After a couple of enthusiastic weeks where it was going to blow Windows away and mean that I would be free of the Microsoft curse forever more, I am ashamed to admit that this weekend I will be reverting to Windows XP and most likely be purchasing a copy of Vista. :blush:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
7.10?

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Yeah, 7.10

Hi Keith, how you doing?

Longers, you're onto a winner mate!

I am going to give it [Ubuntu] a go upstairs on the main PC which is top of the range components to see if that makes a difference, but as for the laptop. It's going.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So why are you hacked off with Ubantu? I thought it was the answer to everything, easy to install and use with none of the MS problems.

I have heard that Vista can be a pig with older programmes.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Ubuntu was pretty easy to install and get up and running but it is not as slick as Windows. As an example, if you hover over directory icons in Windows it tells you the properties, in Ubuntu it doesn't. Also, sometimes after being suspended by shutting the lid and then opened, the network connection is shagged and you need to reboot. Another thing is plugging in USB sticks, it doesn't work properly in Ubuntu.

Essentially for free software it's great, but I want more.

Danny

Legendary Member
What the heck is ubuntu:wacko:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
USB sticks weren't great with Windoze until 2000. I've had problems with Ubuntu and display settings. Getting high def to play in linux has it's pros and cons too.

barq

About two years ago I made the switch to using linux as my main operating system. I prefer the KDE desktop environment (Kubuntu) to Gnome (Ubuntu) as it just seems slicker. To be honest I like the politics of free open source software, so for that reason Mac System X doesn't cut it for me - despite being BSD based.

I think if I were using k/ubuntu on a laptop I'd buy linux preinstalled (e.g. Dell) because the driver support for extended features can be a pain otherwise. Never had a problem with USB sticks, they just seem to mount automatically and offer me a range of 'open with' options (much the same as XP).

Top Bottom