UCI Road World Championships Bergen 2017 **No Spoilers Now**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
On the Bergen circuit, for the men's race, which they do 11 times, there is a climb of about 1.5km @ 6.5%, who would this be best suited to? Stannard, Swift, Thomas, Kennaugh? Can't see Cav or Stevo being involved. Dowsett would surely have been a better bet than Mark Christian???, particularly with the TT in mind. Don't think that Froome will be involved in the road race.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
1.5km at 6.5% is nothing special tbh. The sprinters won't be troubled by that..
Not on it's own, but doing it 11 times could turn it in to somewhere for attacks to take place, so I can't see a mass sprint finish, especially as the race is over 260km. I think you can add the likes of Matthews, GVA, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski and EBH to Sagan.

Adam4868

Guru
I wouldn't rule out Froome riding it yet

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah but ... you can't ignore his record in the British Nationals.
Has he even entered it since his 4th place in 2009?

Judge him on his current form
Certainly - I like Froome but he has no current form in one-day races, has won only one stage of any race so far this year IIRC and so does not deserve to be at the worlds. His tendency to DNFery at past worlds is just the final nail.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What about his form in a TT ?
I don't care about TTs much and mainly watch them if I'm having trouble sleeping... but what about his form in a TT? How many ITTs has Froome won before that announcement? It looks pretty obvious that Cummings and Thomas would be the TT choice from that squad, with Dowsett and Dibben as possible alternates. I don't know why Froome's on that list unless they think he can play road captain, as Rowe's a big loss there.

Adam4868

Guru
I don't care about TTs much and mainly watch them if I'm having trouble sleeping... but what about his form in a TT? How many ITTs has Froome won before that announcement? It looks pretty obvious that Cummings and Thomas would be the TT choice from that squad, with Dowsett and Dibben as possible alternates. I don't know why Froome's on that list unless they think he can play road captain, as Rowe's a big loss there.
Well agree to disagree,I think he could probably be included on his recent form alone,forget about the few grand tours he's rode and won.He might not even compete in the road race,but in a individual TT he'd get my pick.

Top Bottom