Uglifying a bike to leave at station

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am about to start a few months commuting into Waterloo and heading to Paddington by bike. I do have a Brompton but the hassle of getting it on and off the train, finding a storage spot (my neighbour had his swiped at Woking when he left it in the bike area) etc, means I am tempted to leave a bike at Waterloo.

I have the ideal bike - couple of years old from my son, been left outside so lots of tarnish and rusting. Cassette all brown, needs a new chain. It is a Trek 7.1 about 3 years old. I have stuck an old rack on it, and ordered new mudguards. Also ordered some wide insulating tape that I plan to wrap the frame with and mudguards too

Any other top tips on uglification?

Replace QR skewers with bolt-on axles.
Cover all Trek logos.
Once you have wrapped in tape, spray some rattle-can paint over, preferably in a horrible colour.
Park next to a nice bike with a cheap lock.

bolt on axles, won't they need new hubs? Some locking skewers might be better?
No, depending on the brand you may just be able to replace the axles. Shimano cup and cone hubs can be built up either way.
I use cheap locking skewers but anyone can buy the key. The expensive ones work well (255 different keys) but they mark your bike as worth protecting.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Fit a basket.
Especially a plastic one of a different colour to the bike, cable-tied onto the rear rack. ;)
watlington.jpg

Do these ideas actually work? I see the remnants of sh*tty (eg Apollo) bikes all over London. I've fished bikes and BSOs out of a river. A colleague who lost his bike from outside Cambridge Station described as "£20 when I bought it 2nd hand 20 years ago".

Lock it up well, and be prepared to lose it would be my advice. Or Bakerloo. The bike-share should be perfect for this, but they are a scarce as hen's teeth at peak times.

Tim Hall

Do these ideas actually work? I see the remnants of sh*tty (eg Apollo) bikes all over London. I've fished bikes and BSOs out of a river. A colleague who lost his bike from outside Cambridge Station described as "£20 when I bought it 2nd hand 20 years ago".

Lock it up well, and be prepared to lose it would be my advice. Or Bakerloo. The bike-share should be perfect for this, but they are a scarce as hen's teeth at peak times.
What does "Or Bakerloo. The bike-share should be perfect for this" mean?

winjim

Smash the cistern
What does "Or Bakerloo. The bike-share should be perfect for this" mean?
Forget the bike and take the Bakerloo line from Waterloo to Paddington. Ideally a Boris bike could be used for this trip but they are in high demand at rush hour.

Tim Hall

Forget the bike and take the Bakerloo line from Waterloo to Paddington. Ideally a Boris bike could be used for this trip but they are in high demand at rush hour.
Thanks. I thought it was something like that but my Bakerloo-fu is somewhat limited.

Top Bottom