Uglifying a bike to leave at station

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My immediate thought was "Brompton". My second thought was "Bakerloo line". Since you already have a Brompton I'd be inclined to use that. I don't know the Hampshire line at all, but on the assumption you can choose a seat because you're starting towards the start of the train's journey, choose one near enough to a lobby that you can use a cheap cable lock to lock it in plain sight to a handrail.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Bakerloo isn't stopping at Paddington at the moment. You'd have to change at Baker St and get the Circle or Hammersmith & City to the "other" Paddington tube station up by plat 14

PADDINGTON STATION: Bakerloo line trains will not stop at Paddington station from Saturday 2 April until mid-August. This is while we renew both escalators and carry out work to prepare for Crossrail. During this time, please use alternative Tube routes or nearby Edgware Road (Bakerloo line) station.

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube/stop/940GZZLUPAC/paddington-underground-station?lineId=bakerloo

PS personally, I'd still get the tube regardless. Because I don't much like cycling in town. But that's just me.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The route from Waterloo to Paddington isn't really cycling in town - it's over Westminster Bridge on a bus lane, straight on across Parliament Square in a bike lane, up to Buck House on a quiet road, then up to the north of Hyde Park along segregate bike lanes of one kind or another.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
  • OK so the current situation is that I do have the issue of changing at Baker Street.. Hassle.
  • The tube is hot sweaty crowded and costs money £20+ a week
  • I love cycling in London and half of it is in parks as mentioned above by @srw
  • Boris bikes are not guaranteed
  • The line I am on is FULL to the rafters when it arrives in Winchester where I get on. Even if I went First Class there is no guarantee of a seat. And the faster trains do not officially allow folding bikes in the lobby. So finding a place to put the bike and then a seat is something difficult
  • The client I am working for is new and lugging a Brompton up to the office may not be acceptable (at least initially)
  • When I get back to the train on the way home I will have to wait for the platform to be announced. Carrying a Brompton the 100+m to an empty carriage is a hassle, and my preferred option of wheeling it means I get to a carriage and in the time it takes me to fold it all the seats have gone.

So for all the reasons above I am planning to leave the bike at Waterloo. Thanks for all the practical comments - much appreciated

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The route from Waterloo to Paddington isn't really cycling in town - it's over Westminster Bridge on a bus lane, straight on across Parliament Square in a bike lane, up to Buck House on a quiet road, then up to the north of Hyde Park along segregate bike lanes of one kind or another.
Fair enough. I didn't actually give that much thought. I used to walk from Paddington to Charing Cross along some of that route in the summer rather than get the tube.

I do commute by bike into London sometimes, but I'm not a fan. Especially not Norf of the river. Dragons, y'see.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Apparently the double decker racks are pretty secure and it will not be a hugely attractive bike. I will use insulating tape all over then I might spray a watering can of muddy water all over the frame and mudguards (whilst cunningly keeping the drive train immaculate!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
  • OK so the current situation is that I do have the issue of changing at Baker Street.. Hassle.
In case you are at all undecided (which you don't seem to be) replace that with BIG HASSLE. It's quite a trek from the Bakerloo to the Circle platforms at Baker St, the extra journey is quite a few minutes longer than the short Bakerloo trip, and when you do get to Paddington there are mega crushes and queues due to the extra people.

So good luck with the tatty bike.

subaqua

What’s the point
In case you are at all undecided (which you don't seem to be) replace that with BIG HASSLE. It's quite a trek from the Bakerloo to the Circle platforms at Baker St, the extra journey is quite a few minutes longer than the short Bakerloo trip, and when you do get to Paddington there are mega crushes and queues due to the extra people.

And the security with attitude. That tell you to keep left while standing ........................... On the left . I just walked into him on purpose. And said to him just doing what you said, maybe stand in middle and say it .

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member

Agreed re the station closure. I have done the change at Baker St a few times recently and it is a real pain

Top Bottom