UK government alert (wild fire risk)!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Legendary Member
Location
Kent
I was driving on the M3, when I heard a noise on my phone, didn't hear the message clearly and my OHs phone went off at the same. I think something was announced on the radio as well.

Gave me a few scary moments and distraction as I was trying to drive safely.

The actual message was lost on me.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
We used to take ours to Porth Daffarch (Anglsey).
I would go out on my kayak, catch a few mackerel and cook them fresh.... mmmm lurvely.

I know Porth Daffarch well. Lovely little cove and has a handy public toilet these days.
 

Dave7

Legendary Member
Location
Cheshire
I know Porth Daffarch well. Lovely little cove and has a handy public toilet these days.

Its had the public toilet for at least 25 years, probably more.
I used to do sone scuba diving from the beach, some kayaking around the coast and we enjoyed the headland walks.
My daughter and SiL are leaving to go there shortly.
NB
The kayakers used to call the bay Bog Bay as on thier coastal trips they would call there to use the bog.
 
Last edited:

katiewlx

Senior Member
(Not a barbecue person but) is there any law stopping you using a BBQ? I appreciate there is something stopping/discouraging sale of disposable BBQs but beyond commons sense and just thinking about what you are doing is there any law the authorities have to stop you?

law as such no, theres nothing legally stopping you having a disposable BBQ, even with this current announcement, at least on public land, there are or can be byelaws or councils can seek pspos to stop certain activities on public land like having open fires and bbqs etc.

when you are on private land, say at a campsite or maybe on NT land, then its completely down to the landowner to decide, and their decision is then backed by the law.

saw Hampshire fire brigade had to issue the same please stop calling us on the emergency number about bbqs message too.
 

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My take-away from this entire thread is utter despair at how many of you watch The One Show. FFS.
Considering deleting my account and never returning!

Agreed. Never watched it and don't intend to.

Is a group flounce needed?
 

classic33

Leg End Member
My take-away from this entire thread is utter despair at how many of you watch The One Show. FFS.
Considering deleting my account and never returning!
Had to look that one up*. Having seen some of the presenters names now know why I've never watched it.

*That's time wasted I'll never get back, and I hold you responsible for mentioning it in the first place.
 

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Location
Hamtun
The ability to disable the alerts was made very public several years ago.

It was, but has everyone remembered to do it?
We had older phones & disabled them.
MrsPete recently got a new phone and we hadn't remembered about it. Now turned off.
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
It was, but has everyone remembered to do it?
We had older phones & disabled them.
MrsPete recently got a new phone and we hadn't remembered about it. Now turned off.
Which maybe highlights the "Cry Wolf" problem. The more "blindingly obvious" warnings they send, the more people will disable them (how many receiving the message were not aware of wildfire risks?). So when there is a real imminent disaster you need to act on now (ie not tomorrow after you've spent the evening watching TV) increasing numbers won't be receiving that warning.
 

Alex321

Guru
Location
South Wales
Which maybe highlights the "Cry Wolf" problem. The more "blindingly obvious" warnings they send, the more people will disable them (how many receiving the message were not aware of wildfire risks?). So when there is a real imminent disaster you need to act on now (ie not tomorrow after you've spent the evening watching TV) increasing numbers won't be receiving that warning.

For that, they will probably be using the top level alert, which can't be turned off. That was what was confusing me earlier in the thread, I didn't realise there were different levels and all bar teh top one can be turned off.
 
Top Bottom