UK path conditions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gamath

Hi all,

I have tried a word search, but not found any info, so.....

There's plenty of sites on t'interweb that give you details about the UK cycle path network (especially the NCN), but what I can't find is a site that actually tells you about the condition and surface type of the path. They tend to vary greatly, from almost road-like tarmac, to muddy/rocky canal paths.

I have a sports hybrid, so rough conditions are a no-no, but I still want to get off the road now and then. Does anybody know of any sites that carries this sort of info?
I appreciate that weather can change the condition of many paths, but knowing the surface type would at least be a start.

I'm looking for info on all the main NCN routes across the UK, but of immediate interest is the section of NCN 43 from Swansea city centre to Pontardawe.

Cheers

Sustans have volunteer rangers groups across the country, it is they who check the condition and ensure the signing and any repairs needed are reported to the person who is responsible to ensure the cycle path is kept in good order, it is they who will know what condition the cycle path in at any point in time. If you contact the regional office for your area, they might give you the contact details for your local group.

The sustrans routes are meant to be something like 90% tarmac if I recall correctly and the ones I have followed along canal sides have usually been of very good quality - though some times the gates can be a pain in the ass. Some of them - where they say off road sections can be a bit dubious but we have taken our road bikes along them.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=swa...643066&hnear=Swansea,+United+Kingdom&t=k&z=20 I have had a peep at selected intervals along the way and to be honest it looks good. It actually does look like tarmac around Swansea at least - I have not checked the entire route and am a touch unsure around Pontardawe becuase the quality of the images is not as good, but it looks like a lot of the route is tarmac, but short of finding someone who lives locally, I'm not sure how else you are going to find out. It may be better to ask one of the admin team to move this to the general cycling becuase it will have a wider audience there - cycle path surfaces is not really just touring...

andym

Über Member
Look at the Sustrans website. The mapping includes information (look for the triangle with an exclamation mark) that will give you a warning about rough patches.

I have happily cycled lots of the NCN on 25mm Gatorades.

We did lots of the national cycle routes around here over Christmas on our road bikes, though I will probably take my mtb next time for this one. Done of a triban 3 with 25mm schwalbe durano pluses - but no warning triangle on the route along that section, though the road section has a few triangles warning of busy road, bad junction etc. I know the local railway path is not something I will take my road bike on because it is hardcore, unless it is completely frozen or exceptionally dry, but when I was down in Wales last year we cycled part of the Neath canal and that was absolutely fine (NCR 47?)

Top Bottom