Uk to Spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there, I have never done a cycle tour before, so perhaps being ambitious (but i like a challenge) but.. i am planning to cycle from Manchester to my parents house in Alicante Spain. Starting in July probably. I have done a bit of research (it's 1300 miles) but would love some advice please.

1) To camp or not to camp? what are hostels / Camps sites in France. Spain wont be a problem as I am spanish and I suppose I won't find it very difficult to figure out what to do. Is it OK to just camp in a field?

3) I'm fit, but out of practice on the bike, 27 year old - who has cycled 40 - 50 in a day before without problems but never tried anything over! How realistic is my challange and how much training between now and July would be required. (thinking of doing bout 70 miles a day)

4) I anyone fancy coming along you're more than welcome

Yes this is a bit of a whim, but i am serious and have actually wanted to do this ride for a long time now, but.... i ain't no pro, thats obvious and would really appreciate any advice tips or help.

Cheers,
Pedro

MarkF

Guru
Surely its more than 1300 miles on cycle friendly roads?
Spain has a ton of place to wild camp in, but no you just can't set up in a field legally.
No training required, (I know this), but you'll be very fit after a week.
Make it June & I might just do that.

Last edited:
We're doing home (Hampshire) to Alicante in July/August. From Caen it's about 1000 miles in a more or less straight line south so 1300 from Manchester sounds about right, we've ridden lots of the areas we'll be going through in the past so are happy that the roads are cycle friendly.
Unless you're on a very tight budget (or just really want to) I wouldn't bother wild camping in France as there are loads of cheap campsites, they are fewer and more expensive in Spain but away from the coast it would be easy to wild camp if you wanted to.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Campsites are plentiful in France, and fairly cheap.
Much after the middle of July you start to hit the French holiday season, so campsites in the more popular areas (i.e. coastal) can be pretty full, though they will generally squeeze a solo cycle camper in somewhere. Hotels or Gites d'Etape are also likely to be fairly full during the late July & August holiday season, and may have minimum stay rules if you try to book ahead.

Training, provided that you are reasonably fit from doing something, will be mostly a matter of getting used to time in the saddle. For longer tours, it's fairly easy for someone relatively young to just ride themselves fit over the first week or so. Just take the first few days comparatively easily.

franniepan

Hi there, I have never done a cycle tour before, so perhaps being ambitious (but i like a challenge) but.. i am planning to cycle from Manchester to my parents house in Alicante Spain. Starting in July probably. I have done a bit of research (it's 1300 miles) but would love some advice please.

1) To camp or not to camp? what are hostels / Camps sites in France. Spain wont be a problem as I am spanish and I suppose I won't find it very difficult to figure out what to do. Is it OK to just camp in a field?

3) I'm fit, but out of practice on the bike, 27 year old - who has cycled 40 - 50 in a day before without problems but never tried anything over! How realistic is my challange and how much training between now and July would be required. (thinking of doing bout 70 miles a day)

Yes this is a bit of a whim, but i am serious and have actually wanted to do this ride for a long time now, but.... i ain't no pro, thats obvious and would really appreciate any advice tips or help.

Cheers,
Pedro
Hola Pedro, how long do you expect to take for this trip and do you have a route planned? I might be interested in joining you. Fran ‍♀️‍♀️

OP
OP
P
Hola Pedro, how long do you expect to take for this trip and do you have a route planned? I might be interested in joining you. Fran ‍♀️‍♀️
Hi Fran!
I'm leaving on the 8th of July, the plan is to take max 19-20 days, which I hope it will be doable, if I see that I can't manage I'll just get a train to murcia which is where I am flying from back to Manchester on the 29th.
The route is still on the making but my idea was to take the ferry in Portsmouth to caen and then cycle to nantes to then follow the eurovelo 1 going along the coast until Spain.

You're more than welcome to Come!

Toemul

Another one for just riding yourself fit on tour also arse cream and a small note of caution if your mileage is via Google maps add 20%-30% I was given this advice on here and it was spot on made my 60mile plans into 75mile as I ignored the advice :crazy:

pbkclements

I've planned coming back the other way - Alicante -> Dorset & reckoned on about 1100 miles over 12 days which is a lot, but I planned to follow the coast Alicante - Perpignan then Bordeaux & up the coast to blighty. Spanner in the works was my wife breaking her wrist 2 days before the tour. Looking after her my first concern, but trip definitely doable in the 18 days you mentioned; go for it; I'll certainly be doing my trip pretty soon. Best of luck mate,.

saffron.coco

Cheers,
Pedro

Hi Pedro,

I found this forum because I would like to cycle to barcelona in July! I have struggled to find anyone keen to do it with me. I kind of fit the same profile except I am 25 and female,

and although likely slower, i think you've given mroe than enough time for me :smile:

I handed in my notice due to finish work on the 2nd of July!

So i would be interested on coming along... leaving you to go on once at barcalona...

I know it's a bit weird to be so keen but I have been asking everyone of my friends andf for some reason they aren't keen !

OP
OP
P
Hi Pedro,

I found this forum because I would like to cycle to barcelona in July! I have struggled to find anyone keen to do it with me. I kind of fit the same profile except I am 25 and female,

and although likely slower, i think you've given mroe than enough time for me :smile:

I handed in my notice due to finish work on the 2nd of July!

So i would be interested on coming along... leaving you to go on once at barcalona...

I know it's a bit weird to be so keen but I have been asking everyone of my friends andf for some reason they aren't keen !

Hola!

Yes definitely! I would love someone to come with me, one of the things that was putting me off a little bit was going alone.

Message me on Facebook ( Pedro mnz) or email (Pedro.manzanera@hotmail.com) and we can arrange more details about the plan

Pedro

Top Bottom