Uk towns that have been a (surprise) let down to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sunderland, it was a bigger shithole than I ever thought possible.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Blackpool, went there to see the lights when the kids were small, I haven't been back and have no intention of returning.

I used to go quite often as a teen but the last time I went to Blackpool, about 15 years ago, I got off the bus, exited the bus station, thought my god it's grim here, walked round the block, got back on the very same bus and left.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
... full of students, cafes and take-aways :ohmy:

That could be almost anywhere.

Reactions: C R

presta

Guru
I might have caught it on a bad day, but Polperro looked a pig sty when I walked through on the coast path. It was market day, and all the traders were dumping their unwanted crates, and fruit & veg in the harbour. Looked like it was full of pig swill.

I remember going on a coach trip to Bourton on the Water back in the 80s, and thought it was lovely and picturesque, but I passed through again on the bike in 2001 and thought it was apalling. I'm not sure how much of the change was me, and how much Bourton, but it struck me as chocker full with gewgaw shops and other commercial tat. Not a patch on the quiet Upper & Lower Slaughters a mile or two down the road.
I was going to say Oxford. I went there back in the eighties and thought it was a depressing dump.

Cambridge on the other hand was lovely.
I think Cambridge wins on green space, and Oxford on architecture, but I like them both. Cambridge is usually my first/last night's stay when heading north from here, and I usually make a point of passing through Oxford when I'm that way. My last holiday in 2019 was walking the Oxfordshire way based at Oxford hostel. My first trip to Oxford was also my first cycle tour (excepting visiting a couple of local hostels as a kid).
Blackpool, went there to see the lights when the kids were small, I haven't been back and have no intention of returning.
I went there as a kid, and then once by bike on the way from the Lake District to Snowdonia. I think many of the old Victorian seaside resorts tend to look a bit jaded and run down these days.

Top Bottom