Ultegra 6700ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got some wheels for my Defy 3, okay it's not a carbon frame but I like it a lot and now I think it's time to upgrade the groupset. I was thinking of the brand new 6700 but I'm confused as to what would be...
1) the best crank length
2) the best chainring sizes
3) the best cassette ratio - 12-25 seems to be standard.

I am going for a double.

And...where is the best place to buy from? I'll be doing finance and like the look of Tredz as is lower rate of interest but the numbers on there are even more confusing seeing as you have to order everything separately. If I did choose them, and to choose parts separately, would any 6700 go with any or do I need to seek advice from them? Also is the bottom bracket part of the crankset?

Many thanks.

Not many questions I know.... :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1/ Crank length is not really that important unless you are a midget or 6'7" in your socks. 172.5mm is the most commonly used and I doubt if too many cyclists even know what theirs is.

2/ One of those impossible questions, it all depends on ability and fitness. A compact chainset with either 50/36 or 50/34 rings would be advisable if you are not sure.

3/ 12/25 is a sensible choice of ratios, if you find you need lower gears it will be cheap to change.

A bottom bracket is supplied as a seperate item, best to buy at the same time you get the chainset so you get the right one. Where to buy from is a question with many answers, everyone will have their favourite retailer. I use internet shops which don't always do finance.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
1/ Crank length is not really that important unless you are a midget or 6'7" in your socks. 172.5mm is the most commonly used and I doubt if too many cyclists even know what theirs is.

2/ One of those impossible questions, it all depends on ability and fitness. A compact chainset with either 50/36 or 50/34 rings would be advisable if you are not sure.

3/ 12/25 is a sensible choice of ratios, if you find you need lower gears it will be cheap to change.

A bottom bracket is supplied as a seperate item, best to buy at the same time you get the chainset so you get the right one. Where to buy from is a question with many answers, everyone will have their favourite retailer. I use internet shops which don't always do finance.

Thanks Smokin' Joe. I presume that a 50/34 ring has a lower (smaller) ring than a 50/36 and is therefore a lower set of gears?

12/25 is what I'm used to and if anything would like a higher gear, so I presume that's a compact 11-25???

BLAKEY063

I too am looking at the Ultegra, bit disappointed that the 6700 series is not compatable with the flightdeck computer though.

Top Bottom