ultegra 8000 versus dura ace 9100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
I'm looking at a couple of Canyon Aeroads, the DA is £3799 and the Ultegra is £2649. Is there much difference in day to day performance between these 2 groupos? The weight difference is neglible. I currently ride the older 7900 DA and it is faultless, I also have Ultegra 6700 on my Winter bike and the shifting is truely abysmal!! TIA

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You won't notice the difference, save yourself £1150 and get the Ultegra.

If the Ultegra you have on your winter bike is not running sweetly either it is not set up properly or something is worn out or broken.

Agree @Smokin Joe just fill water bottle 3/4 for weight parity. Also agree on ultegra set up as my 6700 is best i have had for smooth changes...dura ace is arguably worth it if the grand is going to burn a hole in your pocket.

AlanW

Guru
Speaking from recent expensive, don't waste your money on Dura Ace, stop with Ultegra, and if you have the option go with last years 6800 Ultegra groupset

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The price differential between the 2 bikes suggests more differences than just the group set.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have had a Ultegra short mech on my bike for two years Have no probs with shifting. Recently changed to 105 medium mainly so I could fit a 32 cog.No noticeable difference in shifting rest of group set remains the same.

I wasn’t prepared to pay the difference between Ultegra and105.There is a weight difference but at my plodding pace I don’t notice the difference.
If it’s the the name of the mech you want then iand want to save a few grams then go for it.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Thanks for the replies guys, I was veering towards the Ultegra and this forum has probably made my mind up. The two Canyons share the same frameset, wheels, finishing kit and groupset bring about the 1100 quid price difference. TBH you do get alot of bike from Canyon regardless. My winter bike was my racing bike a while back and to be honest the shifting was never brilliant, I think the Ultegra shifters are to blame, they were never as good as they should have been!

Thanks for the replies guys, I was veering towards the Ultegra and this forum has probably made my mind up. The two Canyons share the same frameset, wheels, finishing kit and groupset bring about the 1100 quid price difference. TBH you do get alot of bike from Canyon regardless. My winter bike was my racing bike a while back and to be honest the shifting was never brilliant, I think the Ultegra shifters are to blame, they were never as good as they should have been!

Shame Canyons are duller looking than a dull thing.

Oh and once you've ridden Dura-Ace:becool::whistle:,,,,

JhnBssll

Veteran
I recently went from R8020 mechanical Ultegra disc group set to r9170 Di2 Dura Ace disc. Both are very nicely made and when properly adjusted shift beautifully. The Di2 is stunning, I'd definitely recommend it if it's an option in either Ultegra or DA guise :okay: Otherwise, weight aside, there's little difference between them :smile:

Top Bottom