Ultegra Lever Stuck in Wrong Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Erasmus

Hi. I have made a silly mistake in re-cabling my Ultegra R8000 rear derailleur. Foolishly when threading the cable through the lever, it didn't seem to 'grab', so I took the cable out and just moved the lever a click. Now the lever is not in the right position to insert the cable.

Does anyone know if the lever mechanism can be forced back to the low position without dismantling?

Thanks, John.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You should be able to shift both levers even without a cable in

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
E

Erasmus

Argh, what a numpty (me!).

I thought the lever should still 'click' from last time I changed a cable, but it just wasn't having it. Turned out I'd left the lever hood folded back, jamming things. Thanks to both of you for quich response - now sorted.

Now to figure out how to thread it through the chainstay of my Giant TCR!!

OP
OP
E

Erasmus

And that's sorted as well, phew. I suspect there is some 'sleeve' inside that I've missed, but it's gone through and seems smooth enough. Thanks again, John

OP
OP
E

Erasmus

I get what you're saying Ming. However, I meant from the bottom bracket to where it exits the rear chainstay, it feels like there is something there, but I just can't get it through. It doesn't feel like it's catching anything, and seems smooth enough, but only time will tell. Worst that can happen is it'll wear and snap, causing me to crash into the 11 sprocket going up a one in four (well, one in six these days...)

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I get what you're saying Ming. However, I meant from the bottom bracket to where it exits the rear chainstay, it feels like there is something there, but I just can't get it through. It doesn't feel like it's catching anything, and seems smooth enough, but only time will tell. Worst that can happen is it'll wear and snap, causing me to crash into the 11 sprocket going up a one in four (well, one in six these days...)

Ok only you were talking about a lever and clicking and in mentioning sleeve you gave no other context than the lever previously mentioned.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Apart from the bit about getting the cable through the chain stay…
I HATE internal cabling.

I understand the reasoning, if you are competing at the highest level every little iota of aero advantage counts. But for the remaining 99.9999 recurring percent of us it is just one big pain in the ar$se. Changing a shifter cable is one of the most common maintenance tasks on a bike, and also the easiest - or it would be if you didn't have to spend half a week trying to thread it through the tube and out the other end.

Twilkes

Guru
I HATE internal cabling.

I understand the reasoning, if you are competing at the highest level every little iota of aero advantage counts. But for the remaining 99.9999 recurring percent of us it is just one big pain in the ar$se. Changing a shifter cable is one of the most common maintenance tasks on a bike, and also the easiest - or it would be if you didn't have to spend half a week trying to thread it through the tube and out the other end.
I'm sure the last time I had to do it involved attaching a paperclip to a piece of string, dropping that through the frame and locating it at the other end with a magnet, tying the string to the inner cable and pulling that through the frame, and then threading the outer over the inner and pushing that through the frame. I did think internal cabling looked good, but the irony is that I don't even notice the external cables on my new bike because they all sit under the downtube!

Top Bottom