Ultegra or Athena

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I've found a bike I really like but am mulling over the configuration to choose.

Athena
Pros
Comes with better wheels - Campag Zonda
Wider gear range; 34/50 & 12/29
A bit lighter (including wheelset)

Cons
Essentially end of life this year
Worried that some of my tools won't work

Ultegra
Pros
Familiarity of shifters
Cheaper replacement parts e.g. cassette
£150 cheaper

Cons
Race gear range 36/52
Aksium Wheels

Not really sure which way to go. It's an Italian bike, Wilier GTR Team, so my heart says Campag. I don't really know enough to make an informed decision, having only ever ridden my current 105 based bike.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Try them out?

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Cycle Power in WP. They'd have to order them in. Just looking for opinion really. I think I was set on Athena until I heard that its being replaced by a new groupset on 2017 bikes - Potenza I believe.

As I sais in the other thread, I'll be looking to buy a replacement bike in the coming weeks so can't really wait until that new Gruppo is available.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Potenza is in addition to Athena, not replacing it. Main advantage- which will trickle down sooner or later- 11-32 cassette option.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Given your user name, I reckon you'll appreciate the 50-34, rather than 52-36, and the better wheels, that said £150 will buy you two new chain rings plus change and an 11-28 cassette (I just get a tiagra one).

Both systems work really well, hoods are slightly different and obv the thumb shifter, but you get used to either.

Or just choose the colour scheme you like best

Ultegra will feel just like 105 only lighter and more precise. Athena is different in that it is a bit clunkier. Personally, I prefer the button/lever sytem of the Athena to the swinging brake lever of the Ultegra, but you are used to that with 105. Is it the carbon Athena or the alloy? Big difference in feel. The carbon is superb.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Athena/Zondas. Ultegra is just too ugly for any nice bike, Aksiums are OK but bargain basement.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Seems like quite a divisive response!

I didn't realise that the Zondas aren't a huge upgrade so it really comes down to style and gearing. The other matter is availability, given the time of year the manufacturer may not have both in stock.

In answer to a few comments:

Alloy version of Athena
Yes, I like pies. I also like riding up hills. 50-36 isn't ideal. I suppose I could ask the LBS if they have a 50-34 alternative.

U

User482

Athena has a power torque chainset, doesn't it? An utterly stupid design IMO.

e-rider

crappy member
I've found a bike I really like but am mulling over the configuration to choose.

Athena
Pros
Comes with better wheels - Campag Zonda
Wider gear range; 34/50 & 12/29
A bit lighter (including wheelset)

Cons
Essentially end of life this year
Worried that some of my tools won't work

Ultegra
Pros
Familiarity of shifters
Cheaper replacement parts e.g. cassette
£150 cheaper

Cons
Race gear range 36/52
Aksium Wheels

Not really sure which way to go. It's an Italian bike, Wilier GTR Team, so my heart says Campag. I don't really know enough to make an informed decision, having only ever ridden my current 105 based bike.

Cheers
well, once your campag groupset is no longer a current model you will not be able to buy any spares at all - Campagnolo are totally shite at providing spares for older groupsets

e-rider

crappy member
Ultegra will feel just like 105 only lighter and more precise. Athena is different in that it is a bit clunkier. Personally, I prefer the button/lever sytem of the Athena to the swinging brake lever of the Ultegra, but you are used to that with 105. Is it the carbon Athena or the alloy? Big difference in feel. The carbon is superb.
I have 105 and Ultegra 11sp. - the Ultegra is lighter but that is it. No difference in performance.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd stick with Ultegra, the 6800 11 speed version is really excellent; they've ironed out all the shortcomings of the old 6700 version. I'd buy a set of 50/34 chainrings and Ebay the bigger ones, unused in the same packaging with the description altered. Then I'd start saving for some decent wheels like Ksyrium SLS, which will make a massive difference to the feel of the bike.

Top Bottom