Ultegra Rim Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rowlers

Evening Folks,
18mth old Ultegra 6800 wheels, that has covered approx 2000 miles. Generally used in crappy weather on my "All Weather " Deda Acciaio.
This seems very fast for them to wear!?
Any one trashed a set so quickly? I can't believe its normal.

Second question, can I re-rim them with a different rim? Obviously no the Shimano as they are £££ and hard to get hold of.

Rims don't count miles. They only count how much you've braked under what conditions, from what speed and with what mass on the bike.

Nobody can judge with a thumbsuck whether that is a good distance or not since you can wear a rim out on just one alpine tour.

As for use another rim? It is super highly unlikely. Firstly, rims come in a huge permutation of sizes and spoke holes. By size I mean effective rim diameter or ERD, not 700C. To find your exact combo is neigh impossible.

At some stage of the game, wittingly or unwittingly, you chose fancy proprietary wheels over cheaper, standard wheels with easy-to-replace parts and now you have to pay the price. It is Ultegra rims or chuck it.

adscrim

Veteran
Do you clean your pads? The size of debris that can get stuck in pads and accelerate rim wear is rather surprising (to me). Before discs, I cleaned the pads on my commuter every few days when it had been wet. Less so in the dry.

I found Ultegra rims soft as well, only lasted a year of commuting they went extremely concave, actually did not particularly rate them in comparison to Mavic Kyseriums, I do a lot of kerb hopping and the Ultegra's felt spongy on landing.

I found Ultegra rims soft as well, only lasted a year of commuting they went extremely concave, actually did not particularly rate them in comparison to Mavic Kyseriums, I do a lot of kerb hopping and the Ultegra's felt spongy on landing.

They are all made from similar 600X-series aluminium and there's no noticeable difference in hardness among the various 600X aluminium alloys. They all display similar resistance to abrasion too.

If they felt spongy when you curve-hopped, it is because there aren't enough spokes.

Tim Hall

When you say trashed, do you mean the rim has worn so far that it has broken, or that an amount of concaveness (is that a word? ) is apparent. Or something else?

When you say trashed, do you mean the rim has worn so far that it has broken, or that an amount of concaveness (is that a word? ) is apparent. Or something else?
"Concavity". I had to look it up.

Now, where else can I use that word today?

Shimano rims usually have a small hole drilled in them which is a wear indicator. Have the rims worn past that if you can see where it was?

OP
OP
R

Rowlers

The wear indication has gone on both front back rims.
Brake blocks were standard Shimano until the last couple of weeks and I used some Ritchey ones... Braking performance was awful, so I have gone back to Shimano pads..
If I can't get a set of 16/20 of rims, so be it. I do have other handbuilt wheels that I can use and this will be my last set of factory wheels...

Top Bottom