Ultra Gator Skins v 4 Seasons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Sirrus currently has 28c spesh Nimbus tyres (plain on the front, armadillo on rear). I use the bike for winter ERC club runs. Now they are wearing out I'm going to replace them. I'm thinking I'll put something a bit narrower on 25c's but reduce the rolling resistance but perhaps more grippy than the nimbus. I've been impressed with the continentals on my other bikes and I think I've narrowed it to 4 seasons or Gator skins. What's peoples opinions of these tyres?

yello

I have 4 seasons on one bike and ultra gatorskins on another. For a winter club run, I'd probably opt for 4 seasons. The gatorskins are probably the more robust (though I have no complaints about the reliability of the 4 seasons, on the contrary) but I think you'll be thankful for the more 'nimble' performance of the 4 seasons.

gbb

Legendary Member
trio25 said:
4 seasons for me, I found gatorskins to slippy in corners.

No experience of the 4 seasons, but i agree Gators can let the rear end go in wet corners.
Otherwise, i love Gators.

But even then, on the two occasions i've felt the back go...who's to say it wouldnt have happened with ANY other tyre. Wet road and some oil or diesel....

bianco

I find conti tyres a complete pain to put on. I went out for a ride with someone using mich pro race tyres and they were the easiest tyres to change ever!

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
bianco said:
I find conti tyres a complete pain to put on. I went out for a ride with someone using mich pro race tyres and they were the easiest tyres to change ever!

I find the cont contacts on my commuter a bit of a pain but their pretty bombproof and touchwood I've only needed them off once so far in 2000mls for p##ture that could have been advoided if I was looking where I was going (didn't see that burst bottle neck right in the middle of the path :ohmy::biggrin:). Touchwood, I've never had a p##nture in 1000 mls on the road bike and I've only had the tyres off a couple of times out of curiosity. I found the folding conti contacts a lot easier to put on than my previous tyres, especially the nimbus armadillo but my experience is pretty limited to Spesh, Contis and some other make which I forget the name of.

I've got 4 seasons and they're pretty tough, no cuts etc to show and about 1 puncture on 2 bikes over about 4000 miles. Tend not to use them in the summer as they feel a bit 'dead' and I prefer the Vittoria's then, but they're great winter tyres.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
'Gators can let the rear end go in wet corners.
Otherwise, i love Gators.'

wow

:ohmy::biggrin: a bit of a contradiction i admit...

3500 miles plus on Gators..only two 'twitches'...not too bad.
Or maybe i just like to scare myself :biggrin:

Top Bottom