Ultra runner with a sore foot and a treasured classic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phill Stevenson

Hi Everyone,

As the title says I'm a bit of a long distance runner but unfortunately have an over use injury and as a result I cannot walk much with out a lot of pain. ANYWAY, as a result of my girlfriends Uncle passing away after a lengthy fight against cancer they had to clear out his flat. In the garage was an old Raleigh road/racing bike of which was going to be thrown away. I said I would be more than happy to take it as it looked like it could go 100mph and I haven't owned a bike since I was about 11. Few months later I have said bike and it needs a bit of TLC. I want to get this road worth as soon as possible to 1. Get fit with out the stress on my foot and 2. Send some pictures back to the family to show the care it's getting as I hear it was very treasured by said Uncle being forgotten :sad:

As I know pretty much nothing about bikes apart from how to ride them I Googled for restoration/classic bikes and this site came up. I would very much like help on getting this classic back on the road and into use. My aim is to keep everything of the original bike that I can including the paint job so I can enjoy it as it once was.

I understand anyone willing to help will need information and pictures of which my camera is charging while I am at work but for the time being I only know it's a Raleigh from the 80s. I have to say I'm extremely excited about this project and getting to own a bike after 15 years with out one!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help :smile:)

Phill

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi Phill..
Welcome from me over here.. :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Phil, welcome!
What a nice story, I'm sure you will find all your cycling answers on the forums:welcome:

fimm

Veteran
Hi Phill, welcome!
My other half has been doing some ultra marathons recently - his progression was roughly cyclist -> cyclist + runner -> triathlete -> runner!
Unfortunately I don't know anything about restoring old bikes. I hope you have fun with your project.

OP
OP
Phill Stevenson

Phill Stevenson

Thanks all :smile:

Had a bit of a fix up on the bike yesterday and it seems in pretty good nick just a bit of rust here and there. Fimm the story of your other half sounds familiar, I seem to hear of a lot of long distance runners turning to cycling when they're injured.

Top Bottom