Ultra torque or Carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littlestwoo

Which chainset would you choose (53/39 170mm)?

'06 square taper Centaur Carbon or,

'07 Ultra Tourque Centaur Alloy or,

'06 square taper Record Alloy

Which is lighter/stiffer and are intergrated Axles really that more beneficial for us non-pros?

Steve

chris42

Whatever YOU decide you like the most.
All of them are very very good.

Monty Dog

If you can stretch to the 2007 Chorus cranks, they really are an object of exceptional engineering - installation is a doddle too. Remember, you're not having to pay the extra for the BB.

OP
OP
L

littlestwoo

I have seen 06 Carbon Centaur for £100, makes them just about an inpulse buy, but do I need to get with the times and go Ultra Torque? 07 Chorus is out of the question (unfortunatly). Currently riding 06 centaurs which I'm happy with but would like lighter,

Steve

Rob S

A couple of things.

Campag are making a Centaur carbon Ultra Torque crank for 2008.

You can get a Centaur 06 carbon compact crank from Butlers for £119 at the moment.

fuzzy29

I too have the 06 Centaur groupset and I am also thinking of upgrading the chainset. I am going to go with the 07 Chorus, which I have found on Wiggle for £196 plus £9 for the BB cups. Although, the £119 price for the 06 carbon Centaur chainset is mighty tempting, the Ultra Torque does look really good.

simon

One observation is that the Chorus square taper b/b costs £46 pushing the cost of the square taper solution up considerably - I have just had one of these fail and am considering replacing both b/b and chainset to centaur 07 (alloy) at a cost of ~ £100 - this seems good value and future proofs the cost of replacing dodgy sealed b/b's when they inevitably go.

jpembroke

Whilst we are on this subject, would an ultra-torque 10 speed chainset work OK with a 9 speed chain? I like my Veloce 9 speed groupset but chainset is starting to look a bit tatty now. Was thinking about a new chainset at some point. Or should I just stick to square taper?

Lucky Luke

jpembroke said:
Whilst we are on this subject, would an ultra-torque 10 speed chainset work OK with a 9 speed chain? I like my Veloce 9 speed groupset but chainset is starting to look a bit tatty now. Was thinking about a new chainset at some point. Or should I just stick to square taper?

It will work fine . If your bottom bracket's still OK , then there's some good prices about for the square taper Campag chainsets .

Mortiroloboy

I've currently got Campag ultra torque Centaur, previously I ran Shimano Tiagra hollowtech 2 and before that Shimano square tapered, Hollowtech is better than tapered and I think that the Campag Ultra Torque edges the Shimano out, that'll start a Campag/Shimano debacle now!!

Top Bottom