Ultrasonic Baths for Cassettes & Chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Does anyone own one? And what size have you got?

From a brief snoop on eBay I think that the 1.2, 1.3 and 2 liter models will suffice. They all give slightly different internal bath measurements but broadly speaking it seems to be 150x140x65 to 100ml. I think that should be ok for my largest cassette on my MTB.

It looks like £40 is the most you’ll pay for the above sizes.

Any recommendations?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Not overly sure a bath is the best way to clean chains and cassettes. You're not trying to get them spotless.
I use an air compressor (which I realise means you have to have one and the space for it) to blast out crud and it's very effective. It's also fantastic for those bits of encrusted mud around the ends of the mudguard stays which are impossible to get out with a rag.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got a 2.5 litre JPL 8050H. It was bought for getting solder flux off batches of circuit boards, but now it cleans my chains and cassettes. I use Jizer as the solvent. I'm not sure if it's an Elf and Safety issue but it hasn't burst into flames yet. It gets things sparkling clean.
ultra-8050h-ultrasonic-cleaner-heated-tank-2_5ltr-6-p.jpg

si_c

Guru
I just got one for like £20 from amazon, does the job, chains get up super sparkly and it deep cleans the cassette too.

I run two passes of 30/70 degreaser/water solution followed by a bath of plain water. Dry the chain properly (i.e. let it air overnight and rub dry with a microfibre cloth), then thoroughly relubricate.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I just got one for like £20 from amazon, does the job, chains get up super sparkly and it deep cleans the cassette too.

I run two passes of 30/70 degreaser/water solution followed by a bath of plain water. Dry the chain properly (i.e. let it air overnight and rub dry with a microfibre cloth), then thoroughly relubricate.

Is it the little 750ml one? If so: Do you know the internal dimensions of the bath? My MTB cassette is about 150ml. Thank you.

Top Bottom