UMCA HAMR News from the (very) near future!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhillWebber

Kurt Searvogel, likely upset that a woman (Amanda Coker) is currently kicking his arse and will probably take his HAMR (Highest Annual Mileage Record) from him, has joined the UMCA Board to have the rules changed on her! He has proposed changes that would restrict drafting and tailwind assisted riding to protect his record and those changes will be going to a vote very soon!

You read it here first!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't remember if he did much drafting on his record rides but he was definitely a tailwind hunter!

I remember suggesting that the rules should be changed so that each day must be started from where the previous day finished to stop riders getting lifts to pick up monster tailwinds or long downhills.

Anyway, changing rules after the ride has started is a bit unfair (as happened for the Guinness record).

toontra

Veteran
The Searvogels seemed on very friendly terms with the Coker camp last year during Kurt's attempt, even riding together at some points.

The tone certainly seems to have changed with Amanda and Alicia both chasing the miles this year!

OP
OP
PhillWebber

PhillWebber

I can't remember if he did much drafting on his record rides but he was definitely a tailwind hunter!)
He did plenty of drafting. In fact, I've been told that Amanda herself was part of a large group of riders who pulled him around Flatwoods park for a month or more near the end of his challenge. I was also told that nobody helped him more than Amanda and that she rode with him nearly every single day while there.

Anyway, changing rules after the ride has started is a bit unfair (as happened for the Guinness record).
Very unfair, but I don't think Kurt really gives a toss. I'm afraid at this point it seems as though he'll do anything to hold onto his record.

OP
OP
PhillWebber

PhillWebber

The Searvogels seemed on very friendly terms with the Coker camp last year during Kurt's attempt, even riding together at some points.
Yes, as stated above, Amanda was a big part of Kurt's "team" that helped him finish out his HAMR attempt. Kurt was a big supporter of Amanda's at the beginning of her HAMR, but that all changed once she started putting up the big miles day in, day out. It's the opinion of some close to the situation that he's become very bitter over this- hence his attack on her through a proposed records change. It's a sad situation.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@PhillWebber Where are you getting this information from? It does seem weird that he would be able to have so much influence with UMCA seeing as there is such a conflict of interest. If he were to manage to get the rules changed, then surely his record would also not count?

OP
OP
PhillWebber

PhillWebber

@PhillWebber Where are you getting this information from? It does seem weird that he would be able to have so much influence with UMCA seeing as there is such a conflict of interest. If he were to manage to get the rules changed, then surely his record would also not count?

The information is true and comes from someone inside the UMCA. This person is appalled at the situation, but wishes to stay anonymous (for now). It's pretty shocking that he's even able to propose such rules changes with his conflict of interest. What's even more shocking is that he's now (supposedly) trying to become the President of the UMCA.

And no, the proposed rule(s) would not be retroactive. Only for current and future attempts.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The rules do need some clarification, but this isn't the way to go about getting them changed.
Going round in circles on a closed sterile circuit does seem a bit odd, albeit the mileage that she can do is staggering.
Didnt kurt even draft his own camper van on a few occasions.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Kurt Searvogel, likely upset that a woman (Amanda Coker) is currently kicking his arse and will probably take his HAMR (Highest Annual Mileage Record) from him, has joined the UMCA Board to have the rules changed on her! He has proposed changes that would restrict drafting and tailwind assisted riding to protect his record and those changes will be going to a vote very soon!

You read it here first!

I wonder how you can 'restrict' a rider using a tailwind over a year?

In any event, the UMCA does not own the mileage record.

All their verification amounts to is some reassurance the miles have been done.

Tommy Godwin's ride was verified by Cycling magazine.

With modern tracking technology it's increasingly easy to verify a ride.

I don't think anyone doubts the distances posted in recent times by the likes of Kurt, Steve and Amanda - whatever the UMCA may have to say.

I'm sure Amanda would prefer to have the UMCA record, but she should bash on knowing that nearly everyone will acknowledge her as the record holder.

The other possibility is Kurt has no realistic hope of getting his rule changes approved, but is hoping rocking the boat will demotivate Amanda.

Again, she should crack on so as not to let him win the mental battle or the physical one.

goody

Veteran
Porsche_935_Bike_02pop.jpg

Top Bottom