Unable to move chain onto the largest chain ring on the front of my road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I put on a new bike chain after my old chain snapped whilst out on a ride.

I was having issues before the changeover with the chain not shifting to sit on the largest chain ring at the front of the bike.

I therefore think that my front derailleur is potentially out of position.

I have attached a video.

Let me know what you think. If it needs moving I will attempt to do this, as I know have a multi tool.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

BS

View: https://youtu.be/8KFn_Y3P5g0

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would suggest the first thing you try before you start undo bolts and moving things is to just pull the cable a bit extra on the downtube to see if that shifts over. It could be that you just need to tighten the cable a little.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
....and if that works turn the in line cable adjuster to provide some more tension. Derailleur appears to be in the correct position.

It is somewhat difficult to get a bracket fit FD out of line. Not impossible, but it takes special "skills".
Cable tension is the first thing to check as above^^^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
While you're doing it you could also try singing your namesake's most popular song with the following alteration to the second verse so that people will know you've done it My Way.
"Adjusts I've made a few, but in this case its to do with tension"
:laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
While you're doing it you could also try singing your namesake's most popular song with the following alteration to the second verse so that people will know you've done it My Way.
"Adjusts I've made a few, but in this case its to do with tension"
:laugh:

Well if I do manage to fix it, I'll have done it my way :becool:

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
To me it doesn't look that front derailleur sits in the right position when I attempt to put it into the outer ring.

This might be the reason I can't get it into the largest chain ring.

Gunk

Guru
I’d just start with tightening the cable

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the FD is sitting in line with the chainring from above and about 2mm away from the teeth it's okay. Check it's fully tightened on its mount.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It is somewhat difficult to get a bracket fit FD out of line. Not impossible, but it takes special "skills".
Cable tension is the first thing to check as above^^^

You can quite easily have the derailleur cage not parallel to the big ring, especially as the inside is not a straight line. If it’s not parallel or the right height above the big ring then all sorts of poor Shifting issues can manifest.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just a thought, if you have tried adjusting the cable tension, try adjusting the stop screw to allow the cage to go over a little more, just a quarter turn at a time.

ianjmcd

Über Member
Front dérailleurs have two screws one high one low they limit the travel so you might have the high screw a bit too far in normally a Philips screwdriver or a 2mm hex key should do the trick

Top Bottom