Unable to tighten cassette to lock cogs fully - Solved, cheers all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Bit of an odd one this I think.

I have a new set of wheels (falcrum racing 5), and a new cassette. No matter how hard I try im unable to tighten it enough - the individual cogs have slight movement on them, and I can see a gap between them of about 1/3 a mm. Its a very slight gap, but a gap all the same. You can hear them clatter/rattle together if I bounce the wheel.

I tried to fix this a number of times - took the cassette off, reset it, re tightened it, but no matter what I was unable to close the gap between the cogs and they continued to rattle.

So in my annoyance I took the rear wheel off my 2nd bike which also has exactly the same wheel set (not new, but about 9 months old, but exactly the same spec/model) and fitted the new cassette to that - doing exactly what I had done on my new set of wheels

And low and behold it fitted just fine - No rattle, just right.

So I swapped it again back to my new wheel, and its loose. Put it back on my old wheel and its fits fine again.

This tells me there seems to be a slight tolerance issue with my new wheels. But does anyone have any other thoughts/or experienced something like this before/any fix anyone knows of?

cheers all!

Btw - fitted with a decent torque wrench set to 40nm. I probably tightened it a touch past that too.

Tim Hall

My guess is there's a spacer that you can't see on the freehub of the old wheel.

OP
OP
M

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
My guess is there's a spacer that you can't see on the freehub of the old wheel.

Going to check.

Is one wheelset 10 speed and the other 11 speed?what is the cassette?

Hope not! lol, both cassettes are Shimano 105 5700 10 Speed - 11-25. And the wheels are simply Shimano 10/11 speed hub.

Some wheels need a spacer that goes on before the cassette, depends on the hub/cassette combination.

Im pretty sure thats in place. But going to double check

Stick another spacer on or use a thicker one.

Interesting....thats more than doable. I suspect that would be okay. Ill double check the above comments, but if those done work Ill order a spacer/shim to fill the gap. As I said its very small.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some freehubs need a spacer as they are slightly wider than Shimano as 10/11 non-shimano freehubs take 10/11 cassettes, but with Shimano you get upto 10 and completely different 11 cassettes.

PS Put the spacer on first - next to the spokes.

OP
OP
M

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Some freehubs need a spacer as they are slightly wider than Shimano as 10/11 non-shimano freehubs take 10/11 cassettes, but with Shimano you get upto 10 and completely different 11 cassettes.

PS Put the spacer on first - next to the spokes.

Yep! cheers for you help all, think ive done it

In the guff that came with the wheels there was an additional spacer that I missed - fractionally fatter than the one Shimano supplied.....Popped it in and all the cogs are nice and tight and spinning as expected :smile:

Slightly odd that my older wheels don't need to use this spacer, Im guessing Falcrum made a slight design changes to the hub... But either way - the cassette fits as Is should!

Top Bottom