Unable to Unlock a Kryptonite Keeper 12 Standard Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
My daughter in Oxford locked her bike to a stand using one of these locks. However, she can't manage to unlock it! The key is inserting fully into the lock and she can turn it three quarters of the way round, but no further (it needs to turn a full 360 degrees). She has squirted GT85 into the lock, but so far this hasn't had any effect. I have the spare key up here in Shropshire, which I am going to post to her. The lock is about 18 months old and this is the first time she has had a problem with it.

If the spare key doesn't work can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

If all else fails I am going down to Oxford in a couple of weeks. I have a portable generator and an angle grinder.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You seem to have suggested what can be done really... Perhaps something jammed between the catch of D part of the lock and the mechanism. Perhaps she, or a helper push the D part into the lock while someone tries to turn the key. Failing that i would suggest that spare key. If that doesn't work, a pin inside the gate of mechanism is likely stuck or broken and an angle grinder would be the most effective way of releasing the bike.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Thanks. Luckily she was asking one of the porters in her college if they had a portable angle grinder. The one she spoke to used to work in a bike shop and is going to the bike with an angle grinder, so hopefully, the problem is solved.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Have I read where 'towrags' squeeze super glue into bike locks so you have to leave them overnight, then they come back with the 'tools' to remove the bike. Don't know if this scenario fits ? but . . . .
I don't think my daughter's bike would be worth the effort. It's is a decent bike. Small frame, about 15 years old. A decent brand (can't remember what at the moment), small frame, what would be called a gravel bike today. It was my son's first "proper" bike. Also in need of some TLC in the way of new cables, brake maintenance, etc.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Just had a similar issue with a Kryptonite lock, but looking at the pictures it appears to be a totally different mechanism.
Mine was replaced under warranty, but not a great advert for a supposed robust brand of locks.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-thread-to-balance-things.275182/#post-6410850
I looked at the Amazon reviews for my daughter's lock. It was one of the brands recommended by various places when I bought it. Now the first few reviews on Amazon all mention various problems with keys and unlocking. When I get the lock back and have tried the spare key I have at home I might try and get a refund.

Top Bottom