Unattached female seeking restraints...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Twisted my ankle three weeks ago, and it's only just got well enough for me to venture out on the bike again. Put flat pedals on, as I wasn't sure about the twisting action to unclip.

:eek:

Feet slid of the pedals twice, and kept drifting outwards. Maybe there's a technique to keeping down pressure on the the pedal on the upstroke that I've lost since I've been riding with SPDs. It all felt very insecure and really makes me appreciate having my feet held in place.

:bicycle: :sun:

yeah its not easy when used to being clipped in, takes some getting used to. I just ordered some Shimano Saints and hope they are better then slippy plastic ones I have at mo!

You could try mini toe clips, the kind without straps, or power grips.

For plain pedals you need to match the grippyness of shoe to pedal. BMX studded pedals match to Vans soles for a sold bite. MKS Sylvian Tour are traditional ones with a serrated edge, good with trainers and some touring/MTB cycling shoes. Flat models can be too slick.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm going to put my SPDs back on soon, the flats were just temporary until my ankle's better. I was just surprised at how insecure it felt though.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Flats after clips..hideous ..you seem to aquire wierd jelly legs and lose loads of pedal power..and pulling up must look like a thunderbirds walk to others..:laugh:

What's worth noting, is that if your feet are twisting and sliding off the flat pedals. Then it's likely that your feet are doing the same in cleats, but the cleats are keeping your foot in place.

This constant motion of pushing up against the cleats, instead of a nice clean pedalling action also won't do your joints any good in the long term!

You could treat this as a training exercise! And concentrate on pedalling where the position of your feet on the pedals remains stationary throughout the stroke. Then go back to the cleats. After all, not only is twisting and pushing against something with no give bad for joints, but that motion is also wasted energy and lowers your pedal efficiency.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You could try mini toe clips, the kind without straps, or power grips.
That's the way I'd go. We get very used to a light-footed upstroke and with the only point of contact maintained by downward pressure you end up pedalling against yourself.

Cumisky

I always thought these were a good compromise, though sadly, a flop.
That said, my local bike shop still had a pair of shoes and pedals recently, albeit too small for me.

Top Bottom