Unbelievable!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got clipped by a driver not giving way at a side road last month. I hit the road at about 15mph and rolled a few times. The elderly driver stopped, came across and started on the SMIDSY defence. I think I shouted: "UNBELIEVABLE! How could you not see me?" very much in the style of Victor Meldrew!! I then realised my neck hurt so I laid there while various people came out of houses and the emergency services were called.

I never spoke to the driver again. I understand he has now been charged with driving without due care and attention. I am much better now but it has taken over three weeks and three hospital visits and I still don't have the full strength in my right arm. CTC and the lawyers are sorting out the rest. Wish it never happened but satisfied with the progress so far.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It happens - I've had a lot of near-misses in the past year.

Hope you're better soon.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
The thing was I saw what was going to happen so sped up and moved to the centre of the road to get out of his way. He still clipped my rear wheel/triangle and spun the bike. If I hadn't have moved as i did I'm sure he would have pinned my leg against my bike and maybe then ran over me. Makes me shiver thinking about it!

Madders

Regular
Oh dear poor you. It must have shaken you up. I guess what's happened has happened and we'll have to wait and see what the outcome of this is. I am however intrigued. You say he's been charged with due care but did you provide a statement? I only ask as you've not said that you have and as a key witness, you should have been involved in the process in some way.

Madders :smile:

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
You say he's been charged with due care but did you provide a statement? I only ask as you've not said that you have and as a key witness, you should have been involved in the process in some way.
Well, there is the little matter the GMP cannot seem to decide who should actually take my statement. I have chased this up and been told the Divisional Officer who talked to me in A&E charged the driver but it would be followed up by the Collisions Investigations Unit who would take my statement. Trouble is the required paperwork has not been passed between depts. I am currently in communication with a very nice Superintendent who is sorting it out. Apart from this little issue I am quite happy with the progress!

Berties

Fast and careful!
hope you are on the mend,every ones nightmare being clipped by a car,a few close shaves lately on the back roads its trailers that i diss like!!:cursing:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Get well soon

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Unfortunately, it's very easy for a driver not to see you. There's a test online (see below) that shows how easy it is to miss stuff happening outside of a very small focal point. If the driver was concentrating somewhere else in the road, you effectively became invisible to him. This is one of the most important reasons to take primary position whenever possible - because that's where drivers focus. Sadly, driver education does not yet recognize this inability to see outside of a focal point, and does not yet teach the simple method to counteract it, which is to change focal points regularly or blink while scanning for traffic.

The tests are here:

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

and here:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

The same also applies to cyclists scanning for cars. Trust me, you can completely miss vehicles that should seem quite obvious - it's happened to me on a couple of occasions.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Unfortunately, it's very easy for a driver not to see you. There's a test online (see below) that shows how easy it is to miss stuff happening outside of a very small focal point. If the driver was concentrating somewhere else in the road, you effectively became invisible to him. This is one of the most important reasons to take primary position whenever possible - because that's where drivers focus.
The driver approached a give way to join the road I was cycling along. I wasn't in primary as it was not needed but I was at least 1 metre from the kerb approaching the junction from his right. It was daylight, I was wearing a bright red top and had my Schmidt Edelux (very bright) light switched on.

He should have looked adequately to make sure the road was clear before pulling out. I thought he had as he slowed down for the give way but then sped up before reaching it just as I went passed the front of him. I took evasive action which minimised the resulting collision. I don't think my road positioning had anything to do with fact I got clipped. There are no excuses for this type of driving IMO.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
He should have looked adequately to make sure the road was clear before pulling out.

You're missing my point. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone (the driver was clearly at fault), nor was my point to criticize you for not riding in primary (though you certainly should have been, so that he could see you more clearly - it's always essential to be in primary approaching a junction). What I'm telling you is that SMIDSY is never 'unbelievable' - it's part of how our brains work in processing movement - that was my point.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
GWS - and I have to ask... any damage to the bike?
Minor although I feared the worst as I didn't collect it until the next day. The rear wheel was jammed against the brake blocks from the impact it had taken. It had been knocked out of position and ever so slightly bent. The LBS trued the wheel for free (just one spoke needed!). I was worried about the frame but no cracks or bends. The bolt holding the mudguard and rack on the impact side had been given a beating. It fell out soon after as the thread into the frame had been damaged. It needed reboring to the next size. Grand total £5.00. Great LBS!

Good job it was my heavy duty tourer and not my CF road bike. That would likely have needed a new frame.

Top Bottom