Unbelievable!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
You're missing my point. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone (the driver was clearly at fault), nor was my point to criticize you for not riding in primary (though you certainly should have been, so that he could see you more clearly - it's always essential to be in primary approaching a junction). What I'm telling you is that SMIDSY is never 'unbelievable' - it's part of how our brains work in processing movement - that was my point.
Ian

The title of my post was a reference to my exclamation towards the driver. Victor Medrew is a character in a TV programme who uses it as a catch phrase. Sadly, this kind of incident it all too believable.

I do fully undertand the psychology behind drivers not 'seeing' cyclists. In my case I doubt being another 50-60 cm out into the lane would have made the slightest difference. He may well have looked and if he did he would have had me in his field of vision but obviousy his brain didn't equate cyclist with vehicle. Either that or he didn't look at all!

I normally anticipate such behaviour but he caught me as he slowed almost to a stop as he approached his give way. I was just about to pass in front of him (on the main carriageway) when he suddenly accelerated right into me.

Understanding the reasons why this can take place does not provide a defence or absolve the driver of responsability. He drove without due care and it's also important to remember not all cyclists are able achieve speeds to use primary with any personal sense of safety. Cyclists can be as defensive as they like but we can still be hit by these kind of drivers.

classic33

Leg End Member
The thing was I saw what was going to happen so sped up and moved to the centre of the road to get out of his way. He still clipped my rear wheel/triangle and spun the bike. If I hadn't have moved as i did I'm sure he would have pinned my leg against my bike and maybe then ran over me. Makes me shiver thinking about it!

I got pinned by my leg & due to the fact I fell the "right way", got carried on the bonnet until the driver stopped.

One question. Have the police/Collisions Investigations Unit actually recorded the incident. I ask because you say the relevant paperwork has not been passed between the departments concerned. If its not been recorded by them it may make it harder for you. Been there, done that & it was only much later that I found out it was to late to get it recorded. Get in touch with the officer you spoke to & seek confirmation from them that the incident has actually been recorded as it should have.

locker

I got clipped by a driver not giving way at a side road last month. I hit the road at about 15mph and rolled a few times. The elderly driver stopped, came across and started on the SMIDSY defence. I think I shouted: "UNBELIEVABLE! How could you not see me?" very much in the style of Victor Meldrew!! I then realised my neck hurt so I laid there while various people came out of houses and the emergency services were called.

I never spoke to the driver again. I understand he has now been charged with driving without due care and attention. I am much better now but it has taken over three weeks and three hospital visits and I still don't have the full strength in my right arm. CTC and the lawyers are sorting out the rest. Wish it never happened but satisfied with the progress so far.

Really glad you are recovering, be prepared to wait for results - 6-9 months for a conviction, 18 - 36 months for the CTC lawyers (this is normal for any lawyer)
Keep chasing up as this prompts them to open your file which is under hundreds of others

Crankarm

Guru
Ouch, GWS. Take it easy.

Maybe you should start to get a bit stroppy with plod so they get their act together rather than them messing up. Ask for the investigating officer assigned to your case to take your statement.

Crankarm

Guru
You're missing my point. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone (the driver was clearly at fault), nor was my point to criticize you for not riding in primary (though you certainly should have been, so that he could see you more clearly - it's always essential to be in primary approaching a junction). What I'm telling you is that SMIDSY is never 'unbelievable' - it's part of how our brains work in processing movement - that was my point.

Don't be such a cockwomble.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Drivers that slow down after looking at you then speed up scare the wits out of me. Eye contact is essential whenever possible. I've had a few close calls this year from such incidents.

Madders

Regular
I think another issue here is car design. With such features as airbags everywhere and strengthening of the passenger zone. I have noticed that the different pillars have increased in thickness especially the 'A' frame making blind spots bigger, I myself have 'lost' artics in my 'A' frame and I think what drivers aren't doing is looking twice. They glance, see it's apparently all clear, nip out in the 'gap', ooops, SMIDSY.
The Police, a while ago stopped calling incidents 'accidents' on the presumption that someone is to blame hence they are no called collisions.:crazy:

Madders :smile:

DougieAB

Getting the messages
As others have said GWS. This has happened to me twice in two years (at exactly the same place) though thankfully have come away with nothing worse than roadrash. Difficulty is that there is nothing you could have done to avoid the collision. Hope it doasn't put you off getting back on the bike.

Top Bottom