Unbelievably Daft, Exaggerated or Plain Silly News Stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A thread to highlight and discuss news stories that are so outrageously daft, stupid, exaggerated or pointless, that those responsible deserve some kind of punishment.

Local papers could be rich pickings for this, but for the love of your chosen deity please keep it free of politics or religion.

So I'll start. This one popped up in my news feed, apparently this guy is distraught, because his mince pies wede not quite as big as he had hoped. Indeed, he is so upset that he claims that Asda have positively ruined Christmas. Yep, they've totally ruined Christmas. The whole holisay season is a write off. Poor feller.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1532117/Asda-mince-pies-Christmas-shopping-supermarkets-row

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The rules of the forum prevent me from putting up the really daft ones but they are nearly all from BBC Scotland or else the Torygraph.

A thread to highlight and discuss news stories that are so outrageously daft, stupid, exaggerated or pointless, that those responsible deserve some kind of punishment.

Local papers could be rich pickings for this, but for the love of your chosen deity please keep it free of politics or religion.

So I'll start. This one popped up in my news feed, apparently this guy is distraught, because his mince pies wede not quite as big as he had hoped. Indeed, he is so upset that he claims that Asda have positively ruined Christmas. Yep, they've totally ruined Christmas. The whole holisay season is a write off. Poor feller.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1532117/Asda-mince-pies-Christmas-shopping-supermarkets-row
Reminded me of a line from the song Jilted John, "I'm so upset, I'm so upset..."

French Woman Ruled Dead In 2017 Fights To Be Declared Alive
Jeanne Pouchain’s status as deceased is the result of a court decision that deemed her dead even though no death certificate was produced.
Associated Press
19/01/2021 08:36am GMT

Frenchwoman Jeanne Pouchain has an unusual problem. She’s officially dead. She has been trying for three years to prove that she is alive.
The 58-year-old says she lives in constant fear, not daring to leave her house in the village of Saint Joseph, in the Loire region. Authorities seized her car over an unpaid debt she contests and which is at the centre of her troubles. She fears the family furniture will be next.

Pouchain’s status has prevented her and her husband, who is her legal beneficiary along with her son, from using their joint bank account. Being declared deceased has deprived her of other critical amenities.
“I no longer exist,” Pouchain said by telephone. “I don’t do anything... I sit on the veranda and write.” She called the situation “macabre.”

Pouchain’s status as deceased is the result of a 2017 Lyon court decision that deemed her dead even though no death certificate was produced. The decision came at the end of a legal dispute with an employee of Pouchain’s former cleaning company, who was seeking compensation after losing her job 20 years ago.
But the initial complaint in France’s Prudhomme workers’ court misfired, falling on Pouchain, whose lawyer claims her company had no responsibility for the dismissal. A series of legal proceedings, decisions and appeals followed, all the way to the Court of Cassation, France’s highest court, which dismissed the case as outside its domain, Pouchain and her lawyer, Sylvain Cormier, said.

According to Pouchain and her attorney, snowballing judicial errors ended with the 2017 ruling by the Appeals Court of Lyon that Pouchain was not among the living. The legal imbroglio is all the stranger because, Pouchain contended, neither she nor her relatives received a summons for the hearing.
Pouchain’s husband and son were left with an order to pay 14,000 euros (£12,4790) to the former employee.
Cormier, her attorney, filed an unusual motion last Monday to invalidate the 2017 decision by the Lyon appeals court due to a “grave error” by the judges. He said he has never before dealt with such a “crazy” case.
“At first, I had a hard time believing my client,” he said.

Pouchain says she can’t forgive her ex-employee for her plight but won’t identify the woman. The former employee’s lawyer did not respond to several requests for comment.
Cormier points the finger at the judges and their “extreme reticence to repair their error.”
“When an error is so enormous, it’s hard to admit,” he said.
Pouchain remains stubbornly hopeful that her attorney’s bid to overturn the judgement will succeed.
“It’s my last chance to recover my life,” she said.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
All too easy these days as such 'reports' are nothing but clickbait.

Today a 'story' from Lancs Live popped up on FB... woman having to use hairdryer for heating as energy costs soar! ...complete with a picture of said woman aiming a hairdryer inside her fleecy bathrobe.

I'll not post a link because it's obviously clickbait.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I bloody knew it......

FB_IMG_1638818548552.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Man charged with breaking and entering after ‘leaving photocopy of his face’
Viral news Published: Sept 9, 2019
Last Updated: Sept 10, 2019

According to police in Toronto, 54-year-old Gary Samuel Lambe broke in, ate some food and went – leaving behind a photocopy of his face.

Police searching for a man they believe made a photocopy of his own face and left it behind after breaking into a building have made an arrest.

Officers in Toronto had been searching since August 23 for a man they said broke into a commercial property, ate some food and left.

Gary Samuel Lambe was believed by police to have made the photocopy after breaking into a property (Toronto Police Service)

Handily for police investigating the crime, while there the man appeared to have photocopied his own face and left the printout at the property.

Now police have charged a man, Gary Samuel Lambe of Toronto, after he was arrested on an unrelated matter.

Lambe, 54, who has been charged with breaking and entering and failing to comply with probation, was “identified due to tips and information provided by members of the community”, police said.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...entering-after-leaving-photocopy-of-his-face/

Top Bottom