Unbelievably Daft, Exaggerated or Plain Silly News Stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
She might be - certainly not primary. But why should a school care about a hair cut?
In the overall scheme of things a haircut may be fairly trivial but Schools operate on a rules based system and someone has to be in charge. If a little rule gets broken then bigger and bigger rules may follow.
When you agree to send a child to school you agree to abide by their rules.
Learning to adhere to rules is an important lesson in life. Even if you don’t particularly like that rule. And parent should support the school to keep the rules where ever possible.
As you get older you can choose which rules to break and when, but there will always be consequences to this.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On the school hair cut rules thing, there was a troubling thing a year or two back where they seemed to be targeting black kids' hair specifically whilst couched in terms of hair styles it seemed very suss to me.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Tennis ball tram line cuts were banned at my school, but the heavy metal boys & hippies could have their hair as long as they wanted.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In the overall scheme of things a haircut may be fairly trivial but Schools operate on a rules based system and someone has to be in charge. If a little rule gets broken then bigger and bigger rules may follow.
When you agree to send a child to school you agree to abide by their rules.
Learning to adhere to rules is an important lesson in life. Even if you don’t particularly like that rule. And parent should support the school to keep the rules where ever possible.
As you get older you can choose which rules to break and when, but there will always be consequences to this.
A like for the explanation, but a silly rule in my eyes undermines the rest of the rules. I am all in favour of sensible rules, which have sound logic behind them such as 'keep left on the stairs' but rules such as 'you can only eat bananas left handed' just make people question all the rules. T

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Going a little off topic, but schools are supposed to develop children, be that by teaching thsm but also by preparing them for adult life.

Employers have rules, quite often including appearance and hsir styles, and won't take any sheet over it. Having mummy ring your employer to complain because they've sent you home for breaching a rule won't cut any ice with them.

The rule was well known about, and before being accepted at the school the parents sign to say that they have read and understood the school rules, including the appearance code, and agree go abide by them. If they didn't like it then they could always have chosen a different school, although the likelihood is their appearance rules will be similar.

If they can't manage something as simple as that at school then there's little chance for them when they hit the workplace. People need to learn early on that you can't pick and choose the rules that just happen to suit you. Well, you can, but you can forget about holding down a job or staying out of court.

Just because a rule is stupid does not mean you are not obligated to comply if you wish to hold down a job, go to a particular school, stay out of prison, etc. These parents need to get over it.

But bringing it back to the purpose of the thread, "kid in the sheet at school for not obeying school rules" is a classic of the genre. I did a lot worse than that, a lot worse, at school and never made the St Cleve Chronicle, much less the national press.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
She might be - certainly not primary. But why should a school care about a hair cut?

When I was in school (too many years ago), we all had to wear a school uniform, which of course made you identifiable as a pupil of that school when going to or from school or at lunchtimes when around the town.

So their argument regarding hair (we were a boys only grammar school) was that it must look tidy or it reflected badly on the school. We weren't allowed either a "skinhead" look, or hair longer than shoulder length. Though even in those days (1970's), I don't think mixed gender schools locally had different rules on hair length for girls and boys.

Chris S

Legendary Member
French Woman Ruled Dead In 2017 Fights To Be Declared Alive
Jeanne Pouchain’s status as deceased is the result of a court decision that deemed her dead even though no death certificate was produced.
Associated Press
19/01/2021 08:36am GMT

Frenchwoman Jeanne Pouchain has an unusual problem. She’s officially dead. She has been trying for three years to prove that she is alive.
The 58-year-old says she lives in constant fear, not daring to leave her house in the village of Saint Joseph, in the Loire region. Authorities seized her car over an unpaid debt she contests and which is at the centre of her troubles. She fears the family furniture will be next.

Pouchain’s status has prevented her and her husband, who is her legal beneficiary along with her son, from using their joint bank account. Being declared deceased has deprived her of other critical amenities.
“I no longer exist,” Pouchain said by telephone. “I don’t do anything... I sit on the veranda and write.” She called the situation “macabre.”

Pouchain’s status as deceased is the result of a 2017 Lyon court decision that deemed her dead even though no death certificate was produced. The decision came at the end of a legal dispute with an employee of Pouchain’s former cleaning company, who was seeking compensation after losing her job 20 years ago.
But the initial complaint in France’s Prudhomme workers’ court misfired, falling on Pouchain, whose lawyer claims her company had no responsibility for the dismissal. A series of legal proceedings, decisions and appeals followed, all the way to the Court of Cassation, France’s highest court, which dismissed the case as outside its domain, Pouchain and her lawyer, Sylvain Cormier, said.

According to Pouchain and her attorney, snowballing judicial errors ended with the 2017 ruling by the Appeals Court of Lyon that Pouchain was not among the living. The legal imbroglio is all the stranger because, Pouchain contended, neither she nor her relatives received a summons for the hearing.
Pouchain’s husband and son were left with an order to pay 14,000 euros (£12,4790) to the former employee.
Cormier, her attorney, filed an unusual motion last Monday to invalidate the 2017 decision by the Lyon appeals court due to a “grave error” by the judges. He said he has never before dealt with such a “crazy” case.
“At first, I had a hard time believing my client,” he said.

Pouchain says she can’t forgive her ex-employee for her plight but won’t identify the woman. The former employee’s lawyer did not respond to several requests for comment.
Cormier points the finger at the judges and their “extreme reticence to repair their error.”
“When an error is so enormous, it’s hard to admit,” he said.
Pouchain remains stubbornly hopeful that her attorney’s bid to overturn the judgement will succeed.
“It’s my last chance to recover my life,” she said.
This happens so frequently in India that there is now a society to campaign for the living dead's rights:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-58259497

Top Bottom