Unclipping and clipping in on a steep hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I was going up a very steep hill, I wanted to continue going but I was finding it very hard to breathe, I barely managed to unclip. I walked my bike up the hill afterwards. Is it possible to clip in whilst being on a very steep hill or is this an accident waiting to happen? Whilst climbing a steep hill should I be in the lowest possible gear (but have a longer time doing the climb or slightly higher gear and climb at a faster speed) ? In which scenario would I manage best to do the climb?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was going up a very steep hill, I wanted to continue going but I was finding it very hard to breathe, I barely managed to unclip. I walked my bike up the hill afterwards. Is it possible to clip in whilst being on a very steep hill or is this an accident waiting to happen? Whilst climbing a steep hill should I be in the lowest possible gear (but have a longer time doing the climb or slightly higher gear and climb at a faster speed) ? In which scenario would I manage best to do the climb?

Cannot answer the clipping/unclipping question, but, as for the gear to use, I would give a possibly "evasive" answer and say, use the appropriate gear. By that, I mean, use a gear, which allows you to maintain a cadence which is appropriate for you, this normally means sacrificing road speed., in my experience.

Once you've stopped on a steep hill then you would struggle to get going again.
You might be able to ride across the road so flattening out the gradient and letting you clip in but then you'll need to be ready to turn and take the gradient head on.

I'd rather err on the side of the lower gears rather than higher but it's something you'll get a feel for.

It's easier pedalling slightly too fast than too slow.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As above - use whatever gear gets you safely to the top. There's no point pushing a bigger gear just because you think it will be quicker, whilst you wobble around the road and eventually run out of legs and have a clipped-in moment.

When you are familiar and comfortable with clipping in and out you can do it anywhere.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I barely managed to unclip.
Make it easier by setting the release tensions on your pedals to minimum, and if you think you are not going to get to the summit, then do a controlled unclipping rather than struggling on and being forced to do it in a panic a couple of seconds later.

Is it possible to clip in whilst being on a very steep hill
It is dodgy unless you do it sensibly... I look for a driveway, side road, farm track, passing place, (whatever) to start from safely, and then turn up the hill. If no such thing is available then I try to hang onto a wall or fence while I clip in.

Whilst climbing a steep hill should I be in the lowest possible gear
If you can't make it up the hill in a higher gear - yes. If you can - it's up to you - try the alternatives and see which you prefer.

I did an emergency dismount on this 25% ramp. I didn't even attempt to get started again - I walked up to the bend and started off on the easier slopes higher up!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My partner manages to clip in and set off on a steep hill, mainly due to me giving her a push start until she's clipped in and going and then I have to trot back down the hill, retrieve my bike and set off :laugh:!

Unless you ground to a halt because you were in far to high a gear, then yes it could be an accident waiting to happen. You need to be in a very low gear, clip one foot in, get some speed up pedalling one legged and hope you can clip in quickly and continue. good luck, it will come with practice....

Joffey

Big Dosser

Using my Speedplay pedals I can clip in on very steep gradients. And just ride whatever gear feels the most comfortable.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You want a gear so it feels like you have some in reserve if it steepens. If you are in the right gear you can restart on a steep hill. That includes 15-25% ones. But since you are new to it, I’d wait till clipping in and out is second nature.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I managed to clip back into my pedals once after having stopped part way up Limber Hill, Glaisdale (N York Moors). Boy was I chuffed. I think a few people were slightly concerned as to why I suddenly emitted a visceral scream of delight.

Gears? Go for lowest. When you get a better idea of gradients, fitness, and strength, then you can change up, but you will never regret going for a lower gear unless you are racing / TT / Hillclimb, etc. I used to tackle my local killer hill nice and fast and hoped to reach the top before I ran out of puff. Never succeeded. I always had to stop halfway up. Then I took it much slower, not getting out of breath until I was in sight of the top and could carefully measure out the energy I had left, and made it to the top with ease. I still beat people up that hill by letting them go off ahead, and catching them when they blow up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I managed to clip back into my pedals once after having stopped part way up Limber Hill, Glaisdale (N York Moors). Boy was I chuffed. I think a few people were slightly concerned as to why I suddenly emitted a visceral scream of delight.
I can understand your delight - I lived in Glaisdale for first 20 odd years of my life.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I use SPD pedals and can pedal fairly comfortably with only one foot clipped in and the other just planted on the pedal.

I stopped on a 9% ish hill the other day and managed to get going ok but I did set off at a diagonal.

I currently have 38 tooth small ring at the front and 26 big on the back, I am having that swapped out to give me a few easier gears at the sacrifice of widening the gearing.

Top Bottom