Unclipping and clipping in on a steep hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
had a friend in high school that I rode with. no kits, just a cpl of knuckleheads. he sometimes liked to stop 1/2 way up a big hill, smoke a cigarette & drink some pepsi, claiming the nicotine & caffeine would help him. :wacko: then we would get back on the bikes & continue on up the climb. there was no telling him otherwise

good luck w/your nemesis! I can relate!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

@Joffey
Could you sell the merits and advantages of speed plays in comparison to shimano SpDs
I was toying with swapping out the spd for speedplay but it can work out a costly habit trying out different pedals ( last holiday abroad I thought I could hire speedplays to try..but the hire place did not have them )
I have spd as they are seen as the go to pedals from shimano
I had shimamo on my mtb as a go to clip them went to crank brothers which were far better to me
Have you used spd to give a good comparison with speedpkay
Thanks
PS if the OP thinks about getting carbon soles ...you will never be able to clip in on a hill with them as the sole is like glass and the metal of the pedal just will not let you spin the pedals even once unclipped to get going then clip in again
A grippy rubber sole may allow this ?
I think my shoes may have a carbon sole.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I've never used SPD but I have used shimano and look road bike style pedals. I'm a heavy chap and found that I was breaking the bearings on the shimano and look pedals. I opted for speedplays and they have been much better. The pedals are easily serviceable as are the cleats.

They are expensive but you don't have to buy replacement cleats.

I have 2 sets - one on each bike and I'll be honest, I'll never go back!
What's the difference between speed play pedals and SPD-SL pedals?

Lookrider

Completely different pedals. Why ask the question when it would be quicker to Google pictures of them both ?
I assume the OP has done that and is simply asking for user advice?
After all is this not what the forum is for??
I wanted to know the merits of the speedplay vs spd so I asked a member who kindly gave his opinion
Too which I was grateful

the SL part if SPD basically relates to road type pedals as opposed to mtb type pedals which shimano also call SPDs

It didn't come across like that.

I love my speed play for the summer bike but use time atacs for the winter. Better walking/grip with SPD or ATAC.

Speedplay better for longer rides or racing.

Lookrider

I looked at pictures, I don't understand how the speed play pedals are meant to work, what's their advantage?

Speedplays are double side so you clip in either side
The pedal clips into the cleat ( sort of ) speedplays are more expensive
I was considering then as they have flat surface and I was curious if you could pedal a couple turns without clipping in..so as too build momentum on a hill to reclup in ..
I mentioned its almost impossible to restart this way with carbon soles and metal pedals
As it happens there is a you tube video called speedplay vs shimamo spd ...you can understand the differences pros/cons in tbe 10minute video

I was going up a very steep hill, I wanted to continue going but I was finding it very hard to breathe, I barely managed to unclip. I walked my bike up the hill afterwards. Is it possible to clip in whilst being on a very steep hill or is this an accident waiting to happen? Whilst climbing a steep hill should I be in the lowest possible gear (but have a longer time doing the climb or slightly higher gear and climb at a faster speed) ? In which scenario would I manage best to do the climb?
Yes you can clip in but learn to pedal one clip foot and other un clipped and get a tiny bit of momentum will make it easier.
How you attack a hill depends a lot on the length, gradient and you and how you feel at the time.

Generally I like to be in a lower gear on a long climb and mostly seated. Occasionally standing up, to up a gear (so there's a lower gear to go back to if you need it). Sometimes I just stay seated all the way however. If it's a short & sharp climb I might attack it in the high gear before my cadence drops. Or I just go up the hill seated and save standing up till near the crest to give me that extra bit of speed to pull away from cafe racers like me :laugh:

The original owners of Speedplay were very aggressive on any items that were third party but compatible with their product.
Hopefully Wahoo will handle this better as the third party cleat covers were far better than the Speedplay versions.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Make it easier by setting the release tensions on your pedals to minimum, and if you think you are not going to get to the summit, then do a controlled unclipping rather than struggling on and being forced to do it in a panic a couple of seconds later.

It is dodgy unless you do it sensibly... I look for a driveway, side road, farm track, passing place, (whatever) to start from safely, and then turn up the hill. If no such thing is available then I try to hang onto a wall or fence while I clip in.

If you can't make it up the hill in a higher gear - yes. If you can - it's up to you - try the alternatives and see which you prefer.

I did an emergency dismount on this 25% ramp. I didn't even attempt to get started again - I walked up to the bend and started off on the easier slopes higher up!

View attachment 570573
Wise choice I got cramp half way up a steep climb and when I tried to restart i fell as i couldn't get enough speed to get both feet in

Top Bottom