Unclipping and clipping in on a steep hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wise choice I got cramp half way up a steep climb and when I tried to restart i fell as i couldn't get enough speed to get both feet in
I took 2 forum rides up a steep local lane (imaginatively named 'Steep Lane' :smile:) and both times a rider got severe cramp at the same place on the hill. They struggled to dismount without falling. I can't remember if they managed to remount or whether they walked up the steepest bit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I took 2 forum rides up a steep local lane (imaginatively named 'Steep Lane' :smile:) and both times a rider got severe cramp at the same place on the hill. They struggled to dismount without falling. I can't remember if they managed to remount or whether they walked up the steepest bit.

View attachment 570800
I ended up walking ,my own fault putting the climb in after 70 odd miles

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did an emergency dismount on this 25% ramp. I didn't even attempt to get started again - I walked up to the bend and started off on the easier slopes higher up!
If you look closely at my bike in the photo in that post, you will see that I had Look pedals at the time. The experience of my feet slithering about when walking up to the top of that ramp was enough to convince me to put double-sided mountain bike type SPDs on.

With SPDs I would have felt okay starting across the width of the road with one foot clipped in. I'd be confident of clipping the other foot in, or at least it being safe to have to put a foot down again.

I had almost faceplanted when dismounting wearing Look-cleated shoes. My foot slipped away when I put it down! :eek:

Top Bottom