Unclipping on a hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not really sure what my gears are as my bf changed the triple set I had previously to what he calls 'man' gears :sad:

Thanks I choose the grass verge on Sunday and hence no injury to speak of only a bruised pride! was first club run with 6 guys :sad:
Uhmm, sounds like the modified bike and the kind of riding don't suit you.

screenman

Legendary Member
Pah - I was a man the last time I looked and I use tiny gears when I have to!

(Admittedly, I am using them less often as I get fitter, but it is good to have them in reserve for 'special occasions'.)

It sounds like you would have been better to have kept the triple. I have triples on both of my road bikes and my mountain bike, and I use all of the gears.

I suppose now you have lost all that weight ( and well done for that) you do not have to use a mirror to check.

Nothing shameful in low gears, blimey even the pro's use them, sometimes. Now having the right gear to suit your fitness or type of cycling is a shame, if not shameful.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suppose now you have lost all that weight ( and well done for that) you do not have to use a mirror to check.
No kidding - 3 years ago I actually would have had to use a mirror or lean forwards to check my gender because I had moobs and a 55" waistline when I got ill, a health problem not entirely unrelated to the surplus fat!

I am down to 34-35" now and at least an inch of that is loose skin which will always be there to remind me not to let the weight creep back on.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just a thought Louise.. You could put some standard pedals back on your bike and fit some nylon toe clips they only cost a fiver and nearly as good as clipless the good thing is you can slip your foot/feet out in a instant..

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Whether someone who you ride with thinks the gears that were on your bike were not "man enough" or whatever expression was used, is irrelevant. If you don't feel comfortable with the higher gearing or you struggle with the ratios, for whatever reason/s get it changed.
The bike is there to be enjoyed and if something isn't right, whether gears, saddle, pedals, or whatever, it ruins the experience.
At the end of the day the bike is yours and is to be enjoyed by you. So get it set up as you want it to be, not as others think you should have it.
As others have said, nothing wrong with a triple. Both my bikes have triples and I am sure both my wife and children would consider me a man.

si_c

Guru
I'd go with the advice above, it's your bike, decide what you want on it. If you're not happy with the double chainrings, get the triple back on. I've got a triple on mine atm, the idea of "man gears" is a bit ridiculous to be honest.

Same with SPDs, if you're uncomfortable with them, just put some pedals with toe clips on, I find them much more reassuring, it's easy enough to fall off without worrying about being stuck to your bike :smile:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Yup, get him to put the triple back on (consdering the seat height comment I wouldn't be surprised if the 'man gears' weren't a standard double, not even a compact) and then get used to riding with the clipless next. If it's only hills that are giving you trouble, and hills where you feel you need to slow down too much, then the triple crank may solve your initial problem (no longer being able to pedal) and from there you can work on getting quicker if that's what you are after. If he quibbles, kick him somewhere that makes him wince. No, wait, violence shouldn't be the answer. If he quibbles point out that it's supposed to be fun and riding in fear of the next steep hill isn't. Plus a triple won't make you slower, the top end range can still be quick, it just allows you to go slower if you need to. If/when you find yourself needing something different, then he can get all manly and twirl spanners for you. If you don't get on with clipless, go to flats. There isn't that much (if anything) in it as can be seen on here by people endlessly debating it. I have flats on my Sirrus, clipless on the Synapse and happily swap between the two. I don't think 'crap, flats, it's going to be a slow/difficult one today.' I just kind of prefer the clipless when I'm doing many more miles between foot downs.

End of the day, if it's not fun, you'll do it less and then everyone loses.

bikeman66

Hi Louise,

There has been some good tips on this thread, and although it isn't always possible, anticipating stopping (or even perhaps a likelihood of having to stop) is a head start. I unclip fairly often in anticipation of a hazard or having to stop, only to have to clip back in again without the stop.

Backing the release tension off a little is definitely worth doing, and if you are new to clipless pedals, holding on to a wall or something steady and just practicing the clip-unclip action a number of times will be a real help. It will become second nature soon enough, and to my mind, the benefits of clipless pedals far outweigh the few negative moments you might have in the early days of using them.

I can still get caught out on my MTB if I'm grinding up a particularly steep and muddy climb when the back wheel slips and I'm over before I know it.

Try not to let the odd incident knock your confidence, you'll be fine!

I must admit, on my road bike, I just try to give a little kick just to give me that tiny extra bit of forward motion, then unclip on the right (just the way I do things) just as the pedal reaches the bottom of the stroke. That way, I can use a bit of weight on that leg to assist the unclipping action, and my foot is nearer to ground anyway. Not saying this is THE way to do it, but it works for me.

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Hi Louise,

There has been some good tips on this thread, and although it isn't always possible, anticipating stopping (or even perhaps a likelihood of having to stop) is a head start. I unclip fairly often in anticipation of a hazard or having to stop, only to have to clip back in again without the stop.

Backing the release tension off a little is definitely worth doing, and if you are new to clipless pedals, holding on to a wall or something steady and just practicing the clip-unclip action a number of times will be a real help. It will become second nature soon enough, and to my mind, the benefits of clipless pedals far outweigh the few negative moments you might have in the early days of using them.

I can still get caught out on my MTB if I'm grinding up a particularly steep and muddy climb when the back wheel slips and I'm over before I know it.

Try not to let the odd incident knock your confidence, you'll be fine!

I must admit, on my road bike, I just try to give a little kick just to give me that tiny extra bit of forward motion, then unclip on the right (just the way I do things) just as the pedal reaches the bottom of the stroke. That way, I can use a bit of weight on that leg to assist the unclipping action, and my foot is nearer to ground anyway. Not saying this is THE way to do it, but it works for me.

Thanks, I don't have problems unclipping other than on steep hills, so I think perhaps change of gears or even maybe multi release cleats, need to have a think

Top Bottom