Uncomfortable feet when cleated on pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The balls of my feet get sore when I'm cleated in. The shoes fit fine and there is nothing in the sole that would cause the discomfort. Afterwards I have no sores or swelling and my feet are fine. It's spoiling my riding pleasure. Does anyone have the same experience and know what I can do to stop the discomfort?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, hotspots, more common with SPD. Check cleat position. How quickly does it happen? I get it in my non clip out right foot after 45-60 minutes. Clip out, shake your foot around, loosen your shoes, better stiffer soles might help

SPD-SL are better apparently as the contact area is bigger

Given your location are your feet getting too hot? Try thinner socks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The ball of your foot needs to be dead centre with the axel. Will take a little fiddling, but this is the base line. Too far forward, or back will result in pain.

montage

God Almighty
Personally I find side to side has more of an impact on foot comfort than fore and aft, have a play about with both, but use a pen or something to mark current position so you can go back to it if needs be

mrvandango

Regular
I found this yesterday after riding to work in a pair of normal trainer socks. I got the hot spot sensation during a short 6 mile ride. I never get this with my slightly thicker cycling socks, as they seem to have padding in certain areas. Although, having just spotted your location, thicker socks may not help!

It is a real pain trying to get your cleats in the right spot, but worth the effort.

I had exactly the same with SPDs, but since moving to SPD SLs it has gone completely.

moo

I found cold wind makes it worse and used to get pain within an hour, recurring every half hour from then on. I now use a pair of toe covers and was fine upto the 5 hour mark on Sunday. I do have poor circulation to my size 12 feet tho - damn flippers :smile:

Diz

I have only been using cleats for 2 weeks and I was in agony the first few times, after a few adjustments they feel much more comfortable. I also bought some proper socks which have probably helped.

Top Bottom