Uncomfortable saddle or lack of fitness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
HLaB said:
I don't know how good it is but Specialized do a saddle fit. I think basically the width of your sit bones determines the width of the saddle.
Some bike do let you try them too.

It works well, you sit on a piece of memory foam and they measure the sit bone measurements.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Sheldon Brown wrote a really good piece about saddles where he would get riders coming in wanting to replace a perfectly reasonable saddle.

Saddle comfort is largely determined by saddle & bum position, rather than the saddle itself.

I got a Brooks B17 for my commuter, but the stock Bontrager saddle, once, positioned right, is so comfortable I've never felt the need to install my Brooks.

Of course, use every opportunity to get your backside off the saddle to allow blood circulation.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Globalti said:
Yes, a Charge Knife is a comfy saddle despite the uninspiring name!

I find that on a hard training ride when I'm going at it and often out of the saddle, I just don't notice it. It's only on long rides when I don't change my position that it begins to feel uncomfortable.

Just proves my point, doesn't it? :smile:

Jmetz

jimboalee said:
If I try to sit in my favourite armchair for five hours, I wake up after seven hours.

I looked at a Sleep inducement CD in the music store and thought about spending some money on it. My wife said "If you buy that, you'll never hear the end of it!"

i feel this didn't get the credit due, i enjoyed it

Fiona N

Veteran
Manonabike said:
... is there anybody here that is either unfit, very heavy and can ride long distances comfortably? If you can then tell us about your experience....

:o) I'll put my hand up as I'm both much less fit than normal and much heavier than normal (~3 stones over previous racing weight - for an average height female, that seems quite a lot) - normal being when I used to race in the Alps for a Swiss club and ride back-to-back 300km days in training.

I do find my saddle somewhat less comfortable than previously - when it was not noticed, really - as I feel that I do sit more heavily on the back of the saddle. I use a fairly solid women's saddle (Selle Italia Trans-am and it's more recent incarnations). I would also say that the discomfort starts around 80 -100km, depending on the terrain, and I notice that I start to shift around on the saddle more. It never gets to the point of painful riding just - how to put this? - my sit bones seem to want a rest.
It's definitely getting better as I do more longer rides on the upright (I've been recumbent riding mainly for the last few years and, of course, saddle discomfort is not an issue there) so I would have to say that I agree with your suggestion that lack of fitness/time in the saddle is playing a part since the saddle has the same properties as those I've used over most of the last 20 years or so over much longer distances.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Fiona N said:
:biggrin: I'll put my hand up as I'm both much less fit than normal and much heavier than normal (~3 stones over previous racing weight - for an average height female, that seems quite a lot) - normal being when I used to race in the Alps for a Swiss club and ride back-to-back 300km days in training.

I do find my saddle somewhat less comfortable than previously - when it was not noticed, really - as I feel that I do sit more heavily on the back of the saddle. I use a fairly solid women's saddle (Selle Italia Trans-am and it's more recent incarnations). I would also say that the discomfort starts around 80 -100km, depending on the terrain, and I notice that I start to shift around on the saddle more. It never gets to the point of painful riding just - how to put this? - my sit bones seem to want a rest.
It's definitely getting better as I do more longer rides on the upright (I've been recumbent riding mainly for the last few years and, of course, saddle discomfort is not an issue there) so I would have to say that I agree with your suggestion that lack of fitness/time in the saddle is playing a part since the saddle has the same properties as those I've used over most of the last 20 years or so over much longer distances.

Great reading!!!!

We have no choice but get fitter!!!! And get slimmer :tongue: for a comfortable long ride ..... what great incentive!!!! Don't you think?

Top Bottom