Uncomfortable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I have just bought one of these (Dawes 501) and I am bleedin uncomfortable.:biggrin:
discovery_501_07_640x0_474x0.jpg

I don't know what you call the enlarged hand grips that you can rest your palm on but they seemed a good idea to me, likewise intergrated bar ends. But I've just got back from my first long (for me) ride, 30 miles, and my hands are killing me, I find them really uncomfortable.

I thought I'd be able to shift positions, grip and rest but I can only rest my palms on them, which after a while drives me bonklers. Anybody else used and eventually found these things comfortable?

Shifting to the bar ends is not much beter, what use are 2" bar ends? They slip nicely into and irritate the bit of my palm already on fire from the grips.:biggrin: My last bike, 301, had 99p bar ends that I could use all day! Second question, are longer, screw in, as oppose to screw on, bar ends available?

The bike? Great, much smoother and faster and I am amazed at what the difference a couple of hundred quid makes over my previous bikes.:sad:

Nearly forgot, my first bike with pedal cages and what a difference that made on the hills but what do you do at traffic lights? I find myself struggling to get my last foot into the cages when setting off and I got told to fcuk off when resting on a car which seemed the most sensible thing to do.:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
It kind of begs the question, why did you buy it if it was uncomfortable?

peekay76

If you've got ergonomically shaped grips they may not be positioned correctly for you. When you sit on the bike just rest your hands and the natural angle and see of rotating the grips slightly makes them fit your hands more comfortably. If not, maybe you need to fit some different grips that you are more comfortable with. As for the bar ends, there is a large selection available out there so there should be something that does what you want.

Toe-clips or SPDs are so much better than flat pedals. It will take a few rides to master getting your feet into and out of the pedals but very soon you'll wonder how you ever managed to get up a hill with flats.

I hope you get these small issued resolved soon and you have great fun with your new beast.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
peekay76 said:
you. When you sit on the bike just rest your hands and the natural angle and see of rotating the grips slightly makes them fit your hands more comfortably. I
Toe-clips or SPDs are so much better than flat pedals. It will take a few rides to master getting your feet into and out of the pedals but very soon you'll wonder how you ever managed to get up a hill with flats.

I hope you get these small issued resolved soon and you have great fun with your new beast.

Thank you, I'll try moving the grips around before jettisoning them. Yes, clips make such a difference, would never have believed it. There is one short but ball breaking hill on my return trip, I always struggle there, I'm tired and it's steep, today I flew up it, amazing.:biggrin:

Dom, I have had a 201, I liked it, a 301, I liked it better and now a 501, we are talking grips /ends not the bike. The bike fits.

Bigtallfatbloke

I'm no eggspert but here are my thoughts...fwiw..

are you putting too much pressure on your hainds because of not having the bike set up right for you maybe? Saddle height/reach etc...I learn't these are all crucial to my 'pain reduction programme'.

As for the toe clips...my advice would be to ditch them and get some spd shoes and pedals asap (unless you need to wear normal shoes, perhpas for work etc)...otherwise I wouls lossen the straps and practice like crazy just flipping the pedals over with your toes so the clips fall into place each time you need them to. Leaning on cars is perfectly acceptable ...if the moron driving it take offence then just fall over onto his tin can and scratch it with your bike and tell him he made his choice.

biking_fox

Guru
Toe clips.

keep the strap fairly loose, at least to start with. A flick of the toe on the back of the peddle should spin the cage up just at the right time for foot to go in.

I find it helps to peddle for several strokes on the bottom of the peddle (no cage) before pausing, coasting on the momentum and sorting the toe clip out. Try not to wobble while doing so!

Tynan

Veteran
clips are cool once you feet learn the flick to turn the peddle over and stick your toes in, drives you mad in the mean time

leaning on cars isn't really on

yes get the handlebars, seat all right, LBS should help with that

gloves

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
buddha said:
Are those Ergon R1 / R2 grips?
If so, and they're set up as in you pic, they look to be rotated too far back. Which means your wrist will be bent backwards = pain (for me at least)
Have a looky here: http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/grip_ergonomics.html

That's it! I've got Carpel tunnel syndrome:biggrin: Thank you, I'll deal with the angle in the morning.

BFG, I have spd shoes, but right now I am struggling with clips so I'll leave anything even more awkward for now.

Appreciate the replies, I'll post a result in a few days time.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I took the straps out of my last pair of clips for quick escape if so required ! The ones I've got on me new bike are strapless anyway but they are of a plastic material and so flex too much. Wish I'd removed my old metal ones before the bike went to bike heaven.

Abitrary

Whenever I get a new bike I get aches and pains that kind of bed down after, let's say, 4 months.

Bikes are not meant to be car seats or sofas. They were invented to make people feel guilty about using fossil fuels.

Just remember that whatever pain you suffer now, will improve your fitness, posture and skeleture

Abitrary said:
Whenever I get a new bike I get aches and pains that kind of bed down after, let's say, 4 months.

Bikes are not meant to be car seats or sofas. They were invented to make people feel guilty about using fossil fuels.

Just remember that whatever pain you suffer now, will improve your fitness, posture and skeleture

Could this be the worst piece of advice ever written on this forum? Unless it's a joke of course in which case ha ha.

Abitrary

mickle said:
Could this be the worst piece of advice ever written on this forum? Unless it's a joke of course in which case ha ha.

Nope, I was just saying in a kind but cruel way, and using humour therefore, that whenever I change bikes, settings or whatever, that I expect to feel some sort of discomfort... and so should anyone else

It's not about the sofa, it's about the bike

Arch

Married to Night Train
But until then, (I'm quite happy with clips..), the advice given above is good - not to struggle to get into them straight away everytime. Use the other side of the pedal to get momentum going, then you can ease off for a second to flip the pedal and get your foot in... The more practive you get, the quicker you'll be able to do it...

In fact, I have half-clips - moulded plastic toe-only cups with no straps. They give me as much extra purchase as I need for my kind of riding (short urban commutes, and pootling leisure) and are very easy to slip into.

Top Bottom