Under stairs bike storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

First post here. Not quite sure if its the right forum so please let me know if you think this would be better posted elsewhere.

Being at home a lot recently has made me think about improving my bike storage. I'm in a small terrace with a fairly narrow hallway and I'm looking for some inspiration for keeping my two bikes under the stairs. Its a standard layout - two rooms on the right as you go in, staircase in front adjacent to the second room. The walls along the side of the hall mean that there isn't much space for turning the bikes. I tend to just wheel them straight down and back them out the same way.

At the moment there's a built in cupboard at the far end; the run of the stairs before that is almost long enough for a bike, but not quite, so it means the wheels stick out at a slight angle into the hallway. I'd like to either rebuild the cupboard 'around' the bikes (so perhaps be a bit cleverer with the cupboards, get a bit more storage space too), or shift everything so that the bikes hang up at the far end. At the moment there is a lot of dead space that clutter tends to accumulate in.

I know it'll depend on the exact dimensions etc., but I was wondering if anyone else has done anything along these lines that I could get some ideas from? There are lots of pictures on the internet, but they all seem to look like showhomes with bikes hanging on gleaming white walls! This is quite a small space really, and I can't seem to find many examples of my kind of house.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Some photos might help.

OP
OP
B

battenburg

Good point. Although I'm not sure if I can post photos at the moment as I'm new to the forum. I'll double check :smile:

OP
OP
B

battenburg

Can you hang the bikes under the slope of the stairs?

Possibly - do you mean by attaching hooks or something to the slope itself? They're wooden stairs, backed by some kind of plaster board, so I'm not sure whether it would have the strength to hold up two bikes. I had imagined that any hooks would want to go into masonry?

Could taking the front wheel off help and/or be practical?

It would certainly help in terms of overall space, although I hadn't really considered it. On the odd occassion I've taken the wheels off to fix a puncture etc., I've always been a bit tentative in leaning the frame somewhere without it damaging the flooring (which in reality it probably wouldn't, but I think I have in my head that two bits of pointy-ish metal leaning on the floor wouldn't be a goood thing). So I suppose I'd err towards not wanting to have to take the wheel off as part of the storage. I feel like there's a nice convenience to just wheeling the bike in and slotting it into place.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I haven't seen your stairs but if they are a single straight run, could you reverse one bike in and forward another as far under the stairs as the wheel will allow then lift the other end and hook it to the underneath of the stair? If you can't find solid timber above the plywood or plaster board covering, can't you fix a batten between the wall and the stringer into which to screw some hooks? Tilting the bikes up at one end will keep them out of the way and utilise all the space.

Top Bottom