Underappreciated rider of the tour

Who is the rider of the tour in the above respect?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Now becoming you're signature phrase before simpering like a puppy dog. I think the previous example was some grovelling to Shaun ;)

And yes, good call FM, Ryder Hesjedal

Wow - I didn't realise you followed my posts so closely Crackle!

I'll rephrase it - Prudhomme was the unsung hero for me.

a hard, yet intereseting parcours. :rolleyes:

Hont

Guru
The introduction of the classics - ie LBL and Paris-Roubaix - freaked out the Armstrong types who only ever raced the TDF. Only the classics guys (eg Cancellara) seemed able to ride down a rainy hill or some cobbles.

Eddie Merckz/Hinault/Kelly et al wouldn't have made the pigs ear of the 1st week the peleton did. They seemed unable to ride on a bike if it rained.

Armstrong rode (and did comparatively well at) the Tour of Flanders this year and it was only in the latter stages of his first career that he didn't ride the classics. He's finished 2nd at Amstel Gold a couple of times as well as winning Fleche Wallone and I think he got a podium at LBL too.

It's a bit harsh to criticise them for falling off in the rain as there was clearly something on the road that day. If some skinny spanish climber comes down in front of you, you may not have anywhere to go. It's more down to luck than anything in those type of conditions - Menchov did not go down and he normally falls off if he takes one hand off the bars.

Agree that the race was great. Not sure how much was down to the route and how much down to the fact that Schleck and Contador were evenly matched (and both a little bit up and down), though.

Steve H

Large Member
Tony Martin gets my vote.

Not sure he has been truly unappreciated, but sprint after sprint after sprint, he buried himself to chase down the breakaway. Come the end of the day and Cav gets all the glory, the spot on the podium, the press interviews.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'd have to agree with Tony Martin, he has put some serious work in for Cavendish without being anywhere in sight up the final straight.

I was going to go with Roche until I read his whinge about Gadret refusing to give Roche his front wheel when he got a puncture. - [link]

I'd have to agree with Tony Martin, he has put some serious work in for Cavendish without being anywhere in sight up the final straight.

I was going to go with Roche until I read his whinge about Gadret refusing to give Roche his front wheel when he got a puncture. - [link]
Pretty valid complaint though - that's what domestiques are for!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

He was fully entitled to ask as the team leader trying to stay with the lead group on a mountain stage with no team or neutral service car around. Gadret was the one who should lose your respect for that incident. He certainly lost some of mine.

Hont

Guru
He was fully entitled to ask as the team leader trying to stay with the lead group on a mountain stage with no team or neutral service car around. Gadret was the one who should lose your respect for that incident. He certainly lost some of mine.
+1

col1888

Renshaw for me ! Utter commitment to Cavendish ! Tactical genius, and paid the penalty for his commitment. Put his own Tour at risk to protect Cav.

kennykool

Renshaw for me ! Utter commitment to Cavendish ! Tactical genius, and paid the penalty for his commitment. Put his own Tour at risk to protect Cav.

Renshaw and Navarro for me.

I must say I was expecting more from the Liquigas boys this year - maybe they were "tired" after their efforts at the Giro

Top Bottom