Underappreciated rider of the tour

Who is the rider of the tour in the above respect?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thought it's about time we had a poll round here. Who do you feel has been most underappreciated and outperformed themselves?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I voted other cos I think it's Navarro

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

This is a very strange poll - surely all the riders on your list are apreciated in some way?

The commentators particularly on ITV4 have a habit of banging on about the same riders. I don't think Eurosport is quite as bad. As for riders being appreciated, I tried to make the poll as big as possible without typing for a very long time. More curiosity and a bit of fun. Although all the riders listed have had some praise on them at some point there's a case that all of them have been underappreciated in some way, whilst others may have got barely any coverage at all...

MichaelM

Guru
Armstrong is the most underappreciated rider this year - if it wasn't for the mechanical on the cobbles and his crash in the Alps he'd be on the podium.

:laugh:

Oooh, I would have gone for some Domestiques, Bole, Horner, Navarro and the prize for repeatedly burying himself for his team, Jens Voigt.

mangaman

I agree about the Domestiques Crackle - but not necessarily your choices ;)

I agree with Voight - as ever and Navarro has done some work.

The others haven't really helped anyone to win.

I'd go (I'd never thought I'd say this) for Vino - who has worked hard for Contador and "appears" more believable in his riding level than pre-ban ie a punchy/classics style rider without the energy for a 3 week tour.

And I would give a shout for Renshaw - thrown off the tour for a small infringement - while other riders beat each other up with their front wheels and get a tiny fine :wacko:

montage

God Almighty
I don't like Vino...but voted for him. Did a very good job for contador.
In truth I should have ticked other, and gone for voigt or Navarro.

Having said that Renshaw was tactically brilliant - really, really good, but I can't give him my vote as he didn't make it to paris which is a huge shame. He is now one of my favourite riders though

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Voigt doesn't know when to give up, a true legend of the road. Seeing Navarro bury himself day after day in the mountains, particularly the alps and the first few climbs in the pyrryknees was inspiring...

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

I did nearly put Horner in the list and then thought nah, still can't make my mind up on that. The thing about Navarro was Harmon seemed to go on about De la Fuenta a fair bit so that seems a good choice.

mangaman

I did nearly put Horner in the list and then thought nah, still can't make my mind up on that. The thing about Navarro was Harmon seemed to go on about De la Fuenta a fair bit so that seems a good choice.

I'd be a bit pissed off if I were Horner and you put me as an unappreciated rider. He is 10th and could have been higher without a DS with his tongue up Lance's a.... sorry - I shouldn't say that.

He has been Radioshak's best rider by far.

He is over 2 minutes up on Levi and Kloden, and had to wait for Armstrong in some of the earlier stages.

I'm delighted to say - Bruyneel seems to have got his tactics wrong - he should have had Lance et al working for Horner.

Horner was his best rider it would appear - even though Lance lovers will say "yeah but if he hadn't crashed he would have been up there". They all crashed and Lance was over 30 minutes down. A sad farewell.

mangaman

Ryder Hesjedal. How many of us thought he'd be Top 20, let alone 7th?

Good call FM

Actually, without being too corny, my underappreciated person was Christianne Prudhomme. The route was rivetting from day 1 to today and so different from the boring LeBlanc era.

The introduction of the classics - ie LBL and Paris-Roubaix - freaked out the Armstrong types who only ever raced the TDF. Only the classics guys (eg Cancellara) seemed able to ride down a rainy hill or some cobbles.

Eddie Merckz/Hinault/Kelly et al wouldn't have made the pigs ear of the 1st week the peleton did. They seemed unable to ride on a bike if it rained.

Hats off to Prudhomme though - he designed an amazing parcours. It was the best tour de France I've seen in years and it came down literally to a few seconds - maybe due to Scleck's derailleur.

It's hard to imagine a better tour (especially if Cav can get involved in the green jersey fight tomorrow)

Good call FM

Actually, without being too corny, my underappreciated person was Christianne Prudhomme. The route was rivetting from day 1 to today and so different from the boring LeBlanc era.

The introduction of the classics - ie LBL and Paris-Roubaix - freaked out the Armstrong types who only ever raced the TDF. Only the classics guys (eg Cancellara) seemed able to ride down a rainy hill or some cobbles.

Eddie Merckz/Hinault/Kelly et al wouldn't have made the pigs ear of the 1st week the peleton did. They seemed unable to ride on a bike if it rained.

Hats off to Prudhomme though - he designed an amazing parcours. It was the best tour de France I've seen in years and it came down literally to a few seconds - maybe due to Scleck's derailleur.

It's hard to imagine a better tour (especially if Cav can get involved in the green jersey fight tomorrow)

Now becoming you're signature phrase before simpering like a puppy dog. I think the previous example was some grovelling to Shaun ;)

And yes, good call FM, Ryder Hesjedal

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

I'd be a bit pissed off if I were Horner and you put me as an unappreciated rider. He is 10th and could have been higher without a DS with his tongue up Lance's a.... sorry - I shouldn't say that.

He has been Radioshak's best rider by far.

He is over 2 minutes up on Levi and Kloden, and had to wait for Armstrong in some of the earlier stages.

I'm delighted to say - Bruyneel seems to have got his tactics wrong - he should have had Lance et al working for Horner.

Horner was his best rider it would appear - even though Lance lovers will say "yeah but if he hadn't crashed he would have been up there". They all crashed and Lance was over 30 minutes down. A sad farewell.

I do think Horner has been an unappreciated rider. He is indeed 10th and all but not got much of a mention by the commentary team.

Top Bottom