Underseat steering-how do you adjust headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Just wondering if I can pick your brains? I've still hardly ridden the Lyner, as I commute on the Catrike every day. Just got her ready to put into service for when (or if) the weather improves (fitted lights/dual pedals/Marathon Plus tyres/horn/etc) It's amazing how much extra money you can spend creating a reliable commuter!

Anyway, I've noticed a slight bit of play in the headset. I thought it could be tightened up by the allen bolt on top, but no. It felt like the whole 'insides' were turning and there was a 'creaking' sound.

S1054058_zpsfc2c147f.jpg

I then thought there must be a bolt on the bottom, but after removing steering arm/wheel and mudguard there is no bottom bolt. (The photo below is looking up from underneath.)

S1054051_zpsd85b4cce.jpg

I can see that when I look up the tube whilst turning the allen bolt on top, the whole thing turns around.

I'm confused as to how---
a/ to tighten the headset, and b/ how to remove if a replacement is ever needed. FYI, I can be pretty dense at this sort of stuff, but a quick google/youtube search usually points me in the right direction. However, I can't find anything on underseat steering adjustment.

Any advice would be appreciated,
many thanks, Carl.

They are usually standard headsets

The allen key is normally used to load the headset before a clamp of some type holds it in position--- on the Catrike this is the handlebar

There is usually no bolt or connection to the fork - just the steering column

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
That's what I don't understand. The steering arm tightens in the tube by pulling a wedge towards it (like a mirrycle mirror does) so it doesn't tighten the bottom up. The top allen bolt just turns around so doesn't tighten up either.

Sorry - I misuderstood.

This sounds like some sort of hybrid system

Looking at the cap I had assumed that this was an "Ahead set", but your description sounds like a quill stem

Is it an adaptor like this?

10770284-1363093550-973091.jpg

Lateral thinking...

The headset is made by "Humpert"

If there is a model number - you may be able to download a manual from the site. Alternatively they may be able to identify and advise

It may be that the wedge has become stuck

Loosen the allen bolt a dozen or so turns so it rises above the cap, then using a drift strike the top of the bolt to drive the wedge down, and loose to open the wedge.

Remove the adaptor and tighten the headset, to reduce play, then reinsert and tighten the adaptor

Last edited:
Top Bottom