Underwater Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
Does anyone use or can recommend a good camera for snorkelling, one that isn’t too expensive or have any stupid restrictions like only use in the water for 30 mins.

classic33

Leg End Member
Canon SureShot AF1. Compact film camera.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
What sort of budget do you have?
If you already have a camera, you can buy "bags" to put them in, but they do work out at a couple of hundred quid for an SLR. Got some fantastic video footage and stills through one though, here's a couple from the Red Sea 3 Years ago:

DSC_0568.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0569.jpg

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
What sort of budget do you have?
If you already have a camera, you can buy "bags" to put them in, but they do work out at a couple of hundred quid for an SLR. Got some fantastic video footage and stills through one though, here's a couple from the Red Sea 3 Years ago:
Budget is what I'm willing to pay, but don't want to pay a lot because I got burnt with my last underwater camera which after a couple of uses wouldn't work. I have a cheap one which has a dedicated underwater housing which is OK but the pictures are not great. Yours are far superior to what I have taken.

I was thinking about a GoPro but have read a few bad things about them and not sure if an actioncam is right for me. Was also think about the Lidl actioncam as a cheaper option to the GoPro.

The "bags" are an option but would be very nervous and wasn't sure about image quality through them.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Budget is what I'm willing to pay, but don't want to pay a lot because I got burnt with my last underwater camera which after a couple of uses wouldn't work. I have a cheap one which has a dedicated underwater housing which is OK but the pictures are not great. Yours are far superior to what I have taken.

I was thinking about a GoPro but have read a few bad things about them and not sure if an actioncam is right for me. Was also think about the Lidl actioncam as a cheaper option to the GoPro.

The "bags" are an option but would be very nervous and wasn't sure about image quality through them.

Mine is made by ewa-marine. Pricey, but the reviews were very good. At the time, my SLR was quite new and I can't describe just how nerve wracking it is leaping in the sea with my new pride & joy protected by a plastic bag!
It did work really well though and was a lot cheaper than the Nikon hard case which was around £1600.00. That's right, just the case, no camera included...

LimeBurn

Über Member
I have a gopro which is great for taking video and then taking a still off it, or setting it to take interval shots but its rubbish for just taking a photo as thats not what its designed for, I do however also use a fuji waterproof compact which I have nothing but good things to say about - cheap and cheerful and great quality images. Mine is an older version but here is a link to the new one

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...=54652585569&gclid=cje0u-cfgsicfczmtaodxeeajw

As I white water kayak quite a few friends have different brands of waterproof camera too and the panasonic fairs well and also the canon version too although these are more expensive. Hope this helps.

classic33

Leg End Member
How fair down will the camera be required to work?

Minolta also did a waterproof camera. Complete with underwater viewfinder.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Gad, that's a blast from the past. Good down to 5 meters, IIRC. I used to be able to rent a Nikonos from some local shops, I don't know if that is still the case. They probably have something more up - to -date now. I still have an Ewa Marine bag for the digital. I used to own a Sea and Sea camera as well, but I only dove to snorkel depth. It worked okay for that, but any deep diving requires a housing or underwater(not weatherproof) camera and a flash.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikonos-IV-...597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566c7c6ebd
Grease your seals!

classic33

Leg End Member
The Minolta if I remember correctly was good for 10m, static depth. Even came with a seperate viewfinder(plastic "box" with horizontal & vertical crosshairs) mounted on top for underwater use

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Seals were okay for 10 meters probably, but pushbuttons may be a problem, as the pressure at that depth may press the shutter button for you. I was told not to take it below 5 meters(now we are off on that units of measure thing from the other thread) but yes, I remember that viewfinder box and the little bag the camera came in. We sold a lot of those to people who wanted to snorkel, but not dive too deep. There was also a 110 camera in the Weathermatic line, a concurrent offering. I liked, and owned, the Sea and Sea Motormarine, a nice basic underwater camera.

Last edited:
Top Bottom