Underwater Cement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks @Richard A Thackeray, I'll ask Father Christmas for a copy of that book. Another advantage of the ovoid section was that it could take greater structural loading from above compared to a circular one. The main sewers were "cut and fill" and there was some concern that they might collapse.

U

User6179

Thanks @Richard A Thackeray, I'll ask Father Christmas for a copy of that book. Another advantage of the ovoid section was that it could take greater structural loading from above compared to a circular one. The main sewers were "cut and fill" and there was some concern that they might collapse.

Would you know why one house builder wants concrete brick under block n beam floor and another is happy with the Thermalite type brick/block under?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Would you know why one house builder wants concrete brick under block n beam floor and another is happy with the Thermalite type brick/block under?
I'm no expert. I dimly remember that there were special Thermalite blocks that were supposed to be suitable in below-ground load bearing situations. They were different from the partition type blocks that you could scratch with a fingernail. Personally, I wouldn't have used them because they didn't have a track record at the time. I'm out of touch with developments.

U

User6179

I'm no expert. I dimly remember that there were special Thermalite blocks that were supposed to be suitable in below-ground load bearing situations. They were different from the partition type blocks that you could scratch with a fingernail. Personally, I wouldn't have used them because they didn't have a track record at the time. I'm out of touch with developments.

Yep , but some builders wanted you to finish with concrete brick under the floating floor for beams to sit on and some sat the beams on the thermalite which I thought would be a no no ?

Thanks, the Sewerage system also feature in the book (& BBC TV series), as do 6 other projects of very great note(Bell Rock LightHouse was a great programme)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Wonders_of_the_Industrial_World

Mine is an older edition, with a different cover, as you can see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Wonde...eywords=seven+wonders+of+the+industrial+world

PB231359.JPG

ayceejay

Guru
Since all of that will be visible in clear water I would either make it more tidy or smaller so that it is obscured by the big rock on the top. If you can make it stable without cement or mortar this would be preferred but if you must use cement fill the pool before the cement dries out completely as it is less likely o crack,note hat the quality of the water and the presence of chemicals may effect the cement. There is no harm in using rubber as wedges to stabilize the rock.

By the look of it I cannot see that rock going anywhere with or without cement holding it.
I agree it should set under water - after all a bucket full of cement will harden on its own and it must be full of water.
I would probably wrap an old sheet around it to hold it all in place before filling and the go for it.

Top Bottom