Unemployed - What Should I Do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
well, don't feel bad mate- you're hoping to apply for a job that you can stay in longer term - unfortunately being on the dole does not allow for this. If you know you won't be able to stick it out in sales and it's really not you then it's not in your longer term interests to apply for it for the sake of it. Sod that.

So what are you applying for at the moment out of interest?
The only thing I can think of is if you look at all the JDs of those jobs where you are missing a couple of skills (employers won't offer an interview if you miss core competencies however unrealistic) and see if you can volunteer somewhere to pick up those skills

That in my mind is the only way to work your current situation to be in your favour. Short term is going to be crap but the mid term and long term may be a bit more promising with that sort of approach. It's no guarantee though as the jobs market is always developing but picking up new skills right now in a down time where you have time and a bit more flexibility is always a useful thing. I just wish it wasn't free unpaid labour as every bloody company expects that now and it's just exploitative- that's why they don't train people - others will do some jobs for free now and it's been like this for years.

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

I am currently doing an unpaid internship. An INGO - HR department.

I've been applying jobs for which I have evidence of skills:

• Admin (rejected - overqualified)
  • HR (normally rejected because I am not CIPD qualified - a 2 year vocational course)
  • Fraud Analyst (previous experience - yet to hear back about anything
Most other things require qualifications which I can't afford right now...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thinking laterally - if you applied for one of the really nicely paid sales jobs - would you be able to stick it out for long enough to build up enough to pay for the qualifications you need? If it's a shortish or shorter course than that may be do-able. Would mean having to be in an environment you didn't enjoy for the short term but if you were focused and goal orientated enough then that could be a way to progress things? However I'm not saying it's easy!

thomas

the tank engine
August 2010 - I finish my MA (English Lit). My girlfriend finds a good job in London; I've just left uni so I have no problems following her. I've just finished working for Brighton Council as an Admin/PA to a Consultant

Create yourself a job. Register as self employed and start your own business. If you did English, presumably your writing skills are ok? Start offering a professional copy writing service. (or whatever. Just one idea.).

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Create yourself a job. Register as self employed and start your own business. If you did English, presumably your writing skills are ok? Start offering a professional copy writing service. (or whatever. Just one idea.).

yep my thoughts too - if there is something you can do off your own steam go for it- you're then not dependent on an employer to employ you...by no means is self employment easy though.

I admire your tenacity and firmly believe it will pay off eventually, the job market is starting to recover a little now, but you have to remember that the recent financial crisis did screw the market up for a good while, you have been a victim of the tail end of that.

Top Bottom