1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unemployed??

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gary r, 16 Oct 2007.

1. gary r

gary r Veteran

how many here are unemployed?? Ive only been unemployed once for about 4 months & it was a nightmare!! £90 a week on the dole to try & pay a mortgage & feed the family!!

2. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

what sort of work are you looking for gary r? maybe someone on here knows of something in your area.

3. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

If your intrested in a franchise let me know :ohmy:

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I suppose I have been unemployed a couple of times in the past few years which is not really unusual as I am an IT contractor. It can get a bit depressing when nothing comes along for a while. Having said that, the last time was when the world cup was on and I had a fridge full of beer and then weather was gorgeous so couldn't get motivated for five or six weeks.

The wife would get home, I would be trying desperately to conceal just how drunk I was, having started the day with a large cognac for brekky before soaking up the rays in the back garden for the morning with a beer or two, moving back into the house to watch the Poland and Brazil games with more beers before retiring to the back garden once more with a good thriller and another beer just before she got home. "How did the job hunting go today?" "Yeah not bad thanks (hic), quite a few positive leads, just waiting for the agent to call back" :ohmy: :biggrin:

5. gary r

gary r Veteran

im working at the moment,I was talking to a mate this morning who hasn't worked for a while & is finding things tough,& i know others who are quite happy with the no work situation.

6. Big Bren

Big Bren New Member

Being unemployed is meant to be tough isn't it, otherwise, why would anyone bother to look for work?

In my view, £90 a week for doing feck all is not a bad hourly rate.

Bren

7. Bonno

Bonno Über Member

I'm not really unemployed at the moment, more in between jobs!
    After 20+ years working in the homes of the general public, i thought it about time i had a break, before a breakdown! So been off a few months now, not on the dole, but using my kids inheritance money, and sending the good lady wife out to work while i get the miles in !!!
    Life is good :ohmy:

8. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

I am. Made redundant over two years ago with a modest pension. Since then I have done temporary jobs now and again and adjusted to the salary drop ok. It helps if you've no dependents and paid the mortgage.

9. MarkF

MarkF Guru

Can't see why anybody, mentally and physically able, cannot find work right now.:ohmy: If I lost everything tonight, I would have a job by lunchtime tomorrow. What's the problem?

Probably that people won't do menial jobs while waiting for something that is suitable to their status to turn up. I would happily clean toilets if it meant money kept coming in.

10. Johnny Thin

Johnny Thin New Member

I got made redundant about 15 months ago and the old job ran out at the start of November. In the end I got £2.6K payout, did F**K ALL work for them for the last 2 months and got loads done on the garden, spent 3 weeks abroad with my family then started a better job right away after. Plus passed on job leads to the staff they'd decided to retain, many of whom took them so they are understaffed and using contactors now. :biggrin:

I was 'unemployed' when retraining in IT but was working v hard at the same time, more like a student.

11. yes... as of today i am. found out this morning.

L

12. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

bad luck laurence (unless you've got a fat payout and another job lined up anyway that is). :ohmy:

13. nope and double nope

L

14. longers

longers Veteran

Sorry to hear your news laurence.

New chapter though eh?

15. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Only been on the dole for 3 weeks about 12 years ago, went to the job centre every day looking for jobs and got fed up of all these people turning up in flash mercedes and bmw's just to sign on and bugger off again.