unemployed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
how many here are unemployed?? Ive only been unemployed once for about 4 months & it was a nightmare!! £90 a week on the dole to try & pay a mortgage & feed the family!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what sort of work are you looking for gary r? maybe someone on here knows of something in your area.

domtyler

Über Member
I suppose I have been unemployed a couple of times in the past few years which is not really unusual as I am an IT contractor. It can get a bit depressing when nothing comes along for a while. Having said that, the last time was when the world cup was on and I had a fridge full of beer and then weather was gorgeous so couldn't get motivated for five or six weeks.

The wife would get home, I would be trying desperately to conceal just how drunk I was, having started the day with a large cognac for brekky before soaking up the rays in the back garden for the morning with a beer or two, moving back into the house to watch the Poland and Brazil games with more beers before retiring to the back garden once more with a good thriller and another beer just before she got home. "How did the job hunting go today?" "Yeah not bad thanks (hic), quite a few positive leads, just waiting for the agent to call back" :ohmy: :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
what sort of work are you looking for gary r? maybe someone on here knows of something in your area.

im working at the moment,I was talking to a mate this morning who hasn't worked for a while & is finding things tough,& i know others who are quite happy with the no work situation.

Big Bren

Being unemployed is meant to be tough isn't it, otherwise, why would anyone bother to look for work?

In my view, £90 a week for doing feck all is not a bad hourly rate.

Bren

Bonno

Guru
I'm not really unemployed at the moment, more in between jobs!
After 20+ years working in the homes of the general public, i thought it about time i had a break, before a breakdown! So been off a few months now, not on the dole, but using my kids inheritance money, and sending the good lady wife out to work while i get the miles in !!!
Life is good :ohmy:

asterix

Comrade Member
I am. Made redundant over two years ago with a modest pension. Since then I have done temporary jobs now and again and adjusted to the salary drop ok. It helps if you've no dependents and paid the mortgage.

MarkF

Guru
Can't see why anybody, mentally and physically able, cannot find work right now.:ohmy: If I lost everything tonight, I would have a job by lunchtime tomorrow. What's the problem?

Probably that people won't do menial jobs while waiting for something that is suitable to their status to turn up. I would happily clean toilets if it meant money kept coming in.

Johnny Thin

domtyler said:
I suppose I have been unemployed a couple of times in the past few years which is not really unusual as I am an IT contractor. It can get a bit depressing when nothing comes along for a while. Having said that, the last time was when the world cup was on and I had a fridge full of beer and then weather was gorgeous so couldn't get motivated for five or six weeks.

The wife would get home, I would be trying desperately to conceal just how drunk I was, having started the day with a large cognac for brekky before soaking up the rays in the back garden for the morning with a beer or two, moving back into the house to watch the Poland and Brazil games with more beers before retiring to the back garden once more with a good thriller and another beer just before she got home. "How did the job hunting go today?" "Yeah not bad thanks (hic), quite a few positive leads, just waiting for the agent to call back" :ohmy: :biggrin:

I got made redundant about 15 months ago and the old job ran out at the start of November. In the end I got £2.6K payout, did F**K ALL work for them for the last 2 months and got loads done on the garden, spent 3 weeks abroad with my family then started a better job right away after. Plus passed on job leads to the staff they'd decided to retain, many of whom took them so they are understaffed and using contactors now. :biggrin:

I was 'unemployed' when retraining in IT but was working v hard at the same time, more like a student.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Only been on the dole for 3 weeks about 12 years ago, went to the job centre every day looking for jobs and got fed up of all these people turning up in flash mercedes and bmw's just to sign on and bugger off again.

Top Bottom