Uneven chain wear!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had a thought about extending the life of a chain. The rollers only wear on one side. So push each pin most of the way out, turn it 180º then push it back in. As good as new! 😀

Make sure you don't lose one of the pins, or you're farked. :laugh:

CharleyFarley

Chain wear as in elongation does not result in 'snapping'. That's a failure either of sideplates or incorrect pin insertion.

That happened to me on a bike I bought from a bike shop. At 1,000 miles the derailleur was developing a problem. For one thing, it was hanging outboard, so I took it to the shop where I bought it and the mechanic put a checker tool on the chain. He said the chain is shot, and that chains are "only good for 800 miles." So while I went and ate lunch he straightened the derailleur and put a new chain on it. A few days later, not far from home, the chain snapped, leaving me to walk the bike home.

Not wanting to bother them, again, I went back to the shop and bought a new chain. On comparing it with the now-broken chain, I found the newest one was eight inches shorter. So back to the shop to get a longer chain, but the owner said because the bike is a cruiser it requires a longer chain, and they had added a piece. It then dawned on me that where the previous chain had broken was where they had pinned on an extra piece. That was just one of seven botch jobs they did on three new bikes I bought from them. So, to be safe on future rides, I bought pins and a chain tool to carry with me. I wasn't aware of the spare links at the time. And never had a problem with any other chain apart from wear.

Top Bottom