Uneven wear on tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

If you watch F1 you will see cars doing this on the cooling down lap, as they always race clockwise around the track.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On a slightly more serious note, the separation might be where the bands of different grades of rubber are pulling apart.

My tyre of choice is the lovely Veloflex Open Corsa, which I promote ad nauseam on here because I think it's a superb tyre. The construction is light and simple, just a band of rubber with a file texture glued to a cotton carcass so they don't suffer that separation. They are remarkably grippy thanks to the soft compound so they wouldn't make a good commuting tyre.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
That's for those that know to know and you to find out.

Oh Ha Ha!

It's strange, you ask a serious question and get the piss taken.
It's no wonder people are getting more and more ignorant, with responses like the one above.

By the way unless the braking surface IS the tyre there will be no difference in braking performance* if you reversed the TYRES.
You "might"(UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES) get a difference in handling IF the tyres have a directional tread.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON.

P.S. *Note that I did not mention stopping distance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
By the way unless the braking surface IS the tyre there will be no difference in braking performance* if you reversed the TYRES.
You "might"(UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES) get a difference in handling IF the tyres have a directional tread.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON.

I think your humour detector's batteries need recharging... :whistle:

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you flip the tyres around you can even out the wear but the tread will be rotating backwards so your brakes won't work.
DO NOT reverse the tyres. As @MichaelW2 warned, then your brakes won't work.
Why would the brakes not work if you reversed the tyres?
you ask a serious question and get the piss taken.
. . . a difference in handling IF the tyres have a directional tread.
THUS ENDETH THE LESSON.
1. Is "Why would the brakes not work if you reversed the tyres?" a "serious question? I think not; no more than the advice offered by MW2 and YS.
2. Do tell us more about 'directional tread' and the difference in handling one might expect (if the tyres are mounted the opposite way).
3. Please articulate what "lesson" (please don't shout) you have "ended".

Oh Ha Ha!

It's strange, you ask a serious question and get the piss taken.
It's no wonder people are getting more and more ignorant, with responses like the one above.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON.

Nigel, Nigel, Nigel. Where do I start?

Perhaps at the beginning. I had played a role in making this thread go downhill, so I'll attempt to rectify it. Most of us were talking nonsense. Tyres don't regenerate if you reverse over old tracks, nor do brakes not work if you reverse the tyres. Nor does asymmetric whassisname exist. The latter notwithstanding, I will take credit when they do invent it.

I do suppose it was a bit of an insider joke shared by the old-timers here, spurred on by all the nonsense spoken in the past about the dire consequences of putting tyres the wrong way around. But then again, most people did see through it, I hope.

That's all.

BTW, stopping distance doesn't change when reversing tyres. I know you didn't say it did, but just in case.

Top Bottom